Logo

Carb

Bruce53

I have rebuilt a MerCarb for my four-cylinder 140 181. Everything went fine until I began with the operating linkages. There are many wrong ways to put those parts together and, I found, there is very little help available - no good pictures from either my Clymer shop manual or the equally big Seloc Mercruiser Stern Drive Manual. Anybody know of a spot that shows the details of the linkage? I think I have it right but who knows...
Thanks for any help on this one...

What base gasket did you use? The carb requires merc. PN 27-807982 base gasket or it won't idle worth a crap and the mixture screw won't adjust.

View attachment 97_08.pdf

View attachment Mercarb Linkage.pdf

These should help. Pay attention to the float level and drop spec in the tech bulletin. Because there are so many different applications these carbs are used for, the specs given in rebuild kits don't work for certain engine/carb combinations.

As mentioned above, get the OEM gasket or you'll never get the idle mixture right. The gaskets that come in the aftermarket rebuild kits are typically too thin.

This is great: even got a stock number. Thanks guys...
The one I am using was out of the rebuild kit and, yes, it was very thin.....

Thanks Guyjg, I doubled up on the gaskets and put an ultra-thin layer of silicone between the gaskets and it seems to work fine. The great machine purrs at 800 (my trolling speed).

Won't work that low. I am pulling a ten-pound load in the ocean for salmon and need the help. Slower speeds give these fish a bit too much time to examine the bait. Probably would work fine on a lake. Some younger guys go even faster but they learn soon.

Back