Logo

Can't find info on this motor! Help

It's a 50hp merc LS with controls and also a tiller setup and the guy thinks mid 80's. All he can find is the serial # which is: 3349850. I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything. I'm thinking about buying it, so if anyone knows any useful info on this thing, then can u Plzz let me know?? Thanks much!!

in addition to the compression and the normal things check the lower unit oil.....if ithe oil is new then i would insist on water testing it..and listen to it closely.. a lower unit will cost you more than you are probably paying for the motor.....i have owned two of those 50hp mercs(4 cylinder) and they were both running good when i got rid of them..had lower unit problem with one...had to rewire one but i think merc had fixed wiring by the 80.s....

in addition to the compression and the normal things check the lower unit oil.....if ithe oil is new then i would insist on water testing it..and listen to it closely.. a lower unit will cost you more than you are probably paying for the motor.....i have owned two of those 50hp mercs(4 cylinder) and they were both running good when i got rid of them..had lower unit problem with one...had to rewire one but i think merc had fixed wiring by the 80.s....

How do you do a water test on the lower unit?

I pressure test LU's using air pressure from a small air compresser with a regulator set at 5 pounds. Connect it to the lower oil plug hole with a screw in valve stem with the core removed, and spray soapy warter around all the lower unit, and watch for bubbles like the kids play with. AS it being a used motor I'll almost bet that no one has ever replaced the sealing washers on the drain plug nor the vent , fill check plug, after checking the LU greese. They should be replaced as the will wear out and alow water into the unit while in the water. If no bubbles watch for grease around the prop shaft. Remove the prop when testing.
Best of Boating, Oldman570

It's a 50hp merc LS with controls and also a tiller setup and the guy thinks mid 80's. All he can find is the serial # which is: 3349850. I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything. I'm thinking about buying it, so if anyone knows any useful info on this thing, then can u Plzz let me know?? Thanks much!!
Your SR# is for a 1972 50HP Merc motor by the serial tables here on IBoats. Look in parts then Merc. and SR#. Not as new as thought but still good motors and no oil inj. nor computor boards.
Oldman570

look at the wiring under the cowl if its a 72....merc had some crap wiring on that motor.....that wiring harness is not cheap.....

I bought it! $200. 130psi in all 4 cylinders. All wires look fine. I seen the guy with it out on the river last yr and it ran perfect. He said nothing's changed. He just upgraded to one with power tilt. I think I got a steal on it. Just need to figure out how to hook the wires up to the console and tiller controls.

Back