Logo

Can not bleed hydraulics 1969 160

ICantfixit

Hello, I have an old mercruiser 160 1969 engine and I believe it is an Alpha 1 outdrive, I replaced my trim pump and can not get it to bleed properly I have unhooked the lines at the hydraulics and run it up and then down etc..... but the fluid still looks really milky still and the rams will still not go in and out on there own, I have probably went through 3 quarts of oil and still will not bleed all the air out, something just does not seem right? Pump is louder than normal when I am trying to bleed this if this helps at all. Each ram has 2 lines going into it, and also this is not a self bleeding system. Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Can not bleed hydraulics

Who say`s?
What type of pump is with the Alpha rams. Hi pressure ,low vol. will not work with low vol,hi pressure.
To bleed :
remove rams from drive and let hang down leaving room to fully extend
operate system in and out checking oil levels so not to run out/low and foam the oil

Also when i got my replacement pump, on the bottom there was a plate with only one place to hook the hyraulic hoses and I have 2 hoses to hook up, so I took the plate off my old one and put it on the new one, will this hurt anything? Im assuming one was a pressure line and other was a return line.

ok....what is the proper procedure for bleeding them I read through my manual but maybe I am missing something or overthinking something.

Chech this link for pt number 18-2142 .This cylinder works with your pump
.This one 18- 2420 does not work with your pump . Witch type do you have on there now.
Sierra Web Catalog

Those cylinders should work with your pump .Do you have the Merc manual for that system. Might show the pressure readings needed for operation.To bleed:
remove rams from drive end and let hang down from the transom making sure there is room to extend.Check the oil level in the res. operate to trailer and check oil level. retract rams and check oil level. Once or twice should clear the lines of air.

Well I got it all back together and working (sorta) the filter on the pump was plugged up....now that everything is back together the hydraulics will leak down slowly, but the rams go up and down easily with no hesitation, which makes me think the pump is not properly shutting off the return line?

which makes me think the pump is not properly shutting off the return line?
Ayuh,.... That's what happens when you buy somebodyelse's Junk...

There is a manual release hydraulic "T" shaped valve between the two hyd. hose connections on some of the old pump assys. Make sure it is closed. Turn it CCW and back to CW snug. Otherwise the check valve has failed; maybe due to dirty fluid or worn seat.

Back