Logo

Can i throw in the towel yet

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
"Ok Now I need a altemator for

"Ok Now I need a altemator for a 2.3 l ford, prestolite, am not finding one that matches.

Since last year I have replaced outdrive with a 3.0 out drive, (was led to believe it would work) boat would only do 10 mph!, replaced that with a 2.3, good to go, starter solenoed kept sticking alowwing s=tarter yo run whike motoer was running, fixed tghat, had a fuel problem, changed anti siphon valve, had a gas leak, fuel line filler hose, had a 4 inch hole in it! so when i was filling up my boat with gas, I WAS REALLY FILLING MY BOAT UP WITH GAS! fixed that! now the fricking alternator went out< maybe from using perko switch to kill motor when solenoid stuck, burning out the diodes in the alternator. (i read that somewhere)

dAMN THAT ENOUGH!
lead me to where i can find a alt
thanks"

"Kevin...not sure what your co

"Kevin...not sure what your complaining about, that all sounds like normal everyday boat problems to me
lol.gif

Anyway the PN you want is 985466 and this site here carries a Sierra equivalent

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5957&ptype=&Eng ine=&Model=

oh yeah....your not allowed to throw in the towel until either it's totally dead or you sell it
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Bob< thanks for the link,

"Bob< thanks for the link, the part num on my Prestolite alternator is 985465 (then one you gave is 985466) mine is a 51 amp, the one here is 68 amp , and it doesnt say it replaCES PRESTOLITE.
i just wanna make sure it is the right one before i order.

Thanks"

"Kevin...I searched everywhere

"Kevin...I searched everywhere I could and can only find reference to PN 985466, the PN you mention 985465 does not even show as a good PN in the OMC data base. Maybe the easiest thing to do is to take yours into an auto/electric shop and have them rebuild it?"

"Bob< I ran across this li

"Bob< I ran across this linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370198777208&refid =ebas it list my model number 984565 it also list the number you gave 985466.
So I would think that the one you found would also work, it is a highr amperage and it is cheaper.
What do you think?
Thanks, you should get paid for all the help and advice you give!
Also, i changed my plug gap from .35 to .45 after i installed the coneversion kit, with 40,000v olt coil, should I go up to .50?"

"I would go with whichever one

"I would go with whichever one is the best deal for you. I don't know if I would go to .050, even .045 is big change, I would run at .045 for a while and see how it feels for power, hesitation and then pull the plugs and see what they look like."

Back