Logo

Can I replace dead AQ131A with AQ125A? Any adapters needed?

craignelsonhl

Have a dead AQ131, 1550 hours, was submerged. Will be working to restore it, but that is a long project for me. Meantime, I found an AQ 125A in great shape, already mated to a 270D drive. Seems like it would be an easy swapout? Any suggestions?
Also wondered, has anyone on here swapped out the lower unit gears on a 270 before? I would love to put in a 5.0 VP instead, since this is pushing a houseboat, and I need more power. I see the gears (1:61) on ebay for cheap, just not sure how hard that project is (new seals, etc). My fear of that project leads me to want to settle for the 125A.

Yes, the 125 can be installed in place of the 131.

To do the V-8, you'll need the 1.61:1 lower ONLY (correctly shimmed to the Intermediate housing, of course)......, the 3" Y-pipe from an AQ200B or 225B....., and the rest of the V-8 components, including 3" outlet exhaust mans.... usually Barr universal.

IMO, unless you have Hypoid Gear experience, you'd be better off to purchase a working 1.61:1 lower unit and just re-seal it.
I have a 1.61 that I could re-seal and sell to you, if interested.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info, Rick and all the rest.
I took the AQ125A out for a test spin in the donor boat yesterday. it backfired after 3,500 rmp, and bogged down badly. Also, the compression came out 105, 120, 120, 120 on the 4 cylinders. In defense of the boat, it was only warmed up maybe 4 or 5 minutes.
I am thinking I will be better off to just upgrade anyway. I found a VP 5.0 ready to drop in out of a 1999 boat, compression tests good, looks like a good engine. If I was to buy that engine, and get a lower unit changeout for my 270 (to the 1.61:1 gear ratio), whether from Rick or anyone else, it doesn't seem I would need all this other equipment you listed (exhaust etc). What parts would I need if I make this switch, besides the gear change for the 270?

Definatly gonna need to change LOTS of stuff if you go to a V-8
Not sure the transom assy is gonna work.The complete inner transom assy.will be needed.The exhaust is different.The drive like Rick said.
If you buy the 4cyl.Comp can be taken hot or cold.What did the plugs look like?Remove the exhaust manifold and inspect the exhaust ports.J

Jerry, Rick, all.
Thanks for the replies. It looks as though if I wanted to go v-8, I would have to find a donor boat with both motor and outdrive in great shape, and it would be a must that it have the older VP drive (270, 275, 280 etc). I assume these all use the same cutout in the transom.
The odds of finding both motor and drive in great shape are slim, so I'm going to stick to looking for a 4 cylinder.
On the 125a I looked at, the compression being 120, 120, 120, 105, doesn't that seem to be a problem?
I assumed anything under 140 would be borderline unacceptable?
Also, 2 of the plugs looked pretty fouled up with oil...changing the plugs would probably help with the backfire, and it also bogged down and missed several times over 3,000 rpms. I know fouled plugs can be worn out rings and/or valves, maybe even clogged pcv valve, but I lean on worn out rings/valves on this one due to the low compression.
I'm going to look at an AQ131 a guy has out of state, so wish me luck!

Definatly gonna need to change LOTS of stuff if you go to a V-8
Not sure the transom assy is gonna work. The complete inner transom assy. will be needed.
Jerry, I believe that he is suggesting that he found a 1999 5.0L engine only.... meaning that the 5.0L will go into this AQ series drive system.
Craig, is that correct?

Craig, unless you were to find a late model AQ series flywheel cover (aka bell housing in the auto world), you'll need to find a late model 153 tooth flywheel to bolt onto the 1999 5.0L engine.
The typical AQ series V-8 flywheel cover will not accept the 168 tooth flywheel.

All else will be as I suggested earlier....... if you plan to retain the 4 cylinder transom shield.
Otherwise, you'll need the double relief transom shield and large double relief Y-pipe, etc.... typically found with the AQ 260 or so.

Like said, I've done these conversions, so if I can be of any help, holler!

Guys, I found an AQ131D engine. What is the difference in the AQ131A and the AQ131D engines?
I assume that the bell housing, etc is the same, I'm just wondering what is different about these 2 engines?

Back