Logo

Can I remove drive shaft housing without pulling powerhead

sgrant

Hello, 1983 mercury 4 cyl, 80hp. motor won't spit water after confirming water path is unblocked from pump to exit orifice. I dropped the lower unit and verified the impeller was good (replaced anyway). I connected a hose directly to the water tube and water immediately started gushing out the bottom of the driveshaft housing and nothing coming from the tell tale hole. I increased the hose flow and it finally filled up the system and started spitting out the hole but with most water still gushing out the housing. I understand this indicates bad seal(s) in the area around the water pipe and block. I purchased the entire 500+ page factory manual and can't even find the words "drive shaft housing" any where in it and I don't have time to read all 500 pages. The motor is mounted on the boat transom now. Is it possible to drop the drive shaft housing without pulling the power head and if so what hidden items have to be disconnected inside the cowling in order to drop it. Thanks for the help.

So far, all you have proven is that water is flowing through the block and the tell tale is plugged. Take the hose off where it comes out of the block and see if it is plugged there.

I took off the hose and blew it out before i did anything. Also ran a wire about 2 inches inside the block at the hose fitting. The tell tale was squirting a steady stream once i turned up the hose pressure enough to overcome the leak. I noticed there's a ring of water around the bottom of the rubber seal where the water tube goes into the powerhead. I need better access to make sure that's what's leaking. I just need to know if there's a way to drop the drive shaft housing without pulling the power head. Thanks

Back