Logo

Buying a new Yamaha 25hp motor...couple of questions

bbush68

I am looking to buy a new Yamaha 25 hp outboard this weekend. Since the dealer with the best deal is a couple of hours of hours away, I wanted to make sure I am understanding everything before I drive over. First, I asked him if it was a new 2019 model because this is what the web page has it advertised as. His response is that it has EFI and will be known as a 2019 model because it will be February of 2019 when the warranty starts. He says that it may show that the motor was made in November 2017 or June 2018 for example, but it will be known as a 2019 model because the warranty will be starting in February 2019 if I buy it this weekend. He says that Yamaha has stopped making their motors designated as a particular year model like a car or whatever. It is totally based on when the warranty was started. If I am not mistaken, it has been within the last year or so that the 25 hp was lightened up and had EFI added to it, so this would mean that it should have been made within the last year or so. Does all of this make sense or does everything sound correct? Second, if I am not mistaken, he said that the motor comes with a prop and a fuel line but not a fuel tank. Do these motors normally come with everything except the fuel tank? Thanks for any responses back.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I bought a new 6hp 4 stroke Yamaha in January. I looked back and my purchase order says "new". The dealer site said 2019, did not really notice the difference. All my paperwork is down at our creek house, I will look at it and see what it says about model year when I can get back down there. Snowing in Va. right now!

Couple things I would say. My engine was shipped without oil. So I had to buy oil for the start up procedure. Grabbed the correct Yamalube at the dealer when I picked up the engine. There was a promotional deal for two year extension on the warranty (5 year total) when I bought, which was nice. You should check and see if you qualify. The warranty paperwork came to the house from Yamaha in two installments, first the base 3 year info, and then the 2 year add on promotion info. They also offered nice brochure called "Maintenance Matters", which I requested via mail. It is nicer than printing the online pdf.

I am putting it on a dinghy. I am looking forward to trying it out.

What are you putting the 25 on? I have a 16' vhull aluminum utility boat which I think would really scoot with that engine. It runs good with a 9.9, and I am working on a 15hp Honda that I sort of inherited as a potential upgrade.

Good luck with the purchase. I will get back to you once I can get to my paperwork

Thanks, Bruce

Back