Logo

Broken water pipe early 1980:s 20 (25) HP

calle

I have a 20 HP Evinrude (which is a derated US 25) from the early eighties. It starts but wont cool (no eject from the above watersurface return) so I went for replacing the impeller. When pulling of the lower unit I wasnt careful enough so I broke the plastic pipe which Im pretty sure of is the water pipe. So, can anyone recommend which way to go, exvhange the water pipe or try to repair it. For option one, anyone know how its done, eg do I have to lift the powerhead? If going for repair the pipe I guess it comes down to trying with the most suitable glue - any recommendations?

See attached images:

Thanks for any help. I have searched the forum for similar problems but came up short.

IMG_0825.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0828.jpg

It keeps exhaust away from the pump I believe.--It fits around the driveshaft !--Needs to be there.----Did you find the copper water tube ?

Aah perhaps its the chamber where the shaft goes . And the o-ring is to seal out exhaust gases from getting soot on the shaftsplines

It fills with water from the pump.-----Acts as a seal for the pump ?-----I believe there is an o-ring at the top of the driveshaft to prevent water from getting into the splines !-----Do you have a model # for this motor ? ---Pictures ?

Last edited:
Sorry-----It is up to you to look at the parts and pieces to see where it fits and what is going on.----I can not offer any more free assistance.

Yes the plastic is waterfilled. It protects the waterpump from hot exhaust gases. Do not glue it in , go buy a new one and the o-rings come in the water pump kit.

It also prevents the drive shaft isolation tube from filling up with water and spilling out the top---or worse attacking the lower crankcase seal & bearing area. Replace it already.

Back