Logo

Bravo 3 Gear Ratio and uv joints

coaster

Regular Contributor
"I am trying to establish if t

"I am trying to establish if the size of the gears for a specific ratio say [2 : 1] are the same regardless if the drive is Bravo 3 ,, X 3 ,, or X 3 Diesel. I have been told that the top box workings of the Bravo 3 are different to the Bravo X and the X Diesel. A smaller universal joint assembley is used on the standard Bravo 3.Would the equipment in the top box be the same. Not factoring in the shimming difference of the X and X Diesel I would expect that the upper and lower housings are standard. Any help would be appreciated"

I am in the same situation. I

I am in the same situation. I have to replace a Bravo 3. I was told a 3X would be better if I could get one. What should I watch out for? Stay with the Bravo 3? Thanks.

"Bt Doctur thanks. The Merc Te

"Bt Doctur thanks. The Merc Tech do not give a great deal of info out. Would i be correct in saying , while the gear ratio for Bravo 3 all models with ratio [ 2 : 1] are the same it does not necessarily follow that the physical size of the gears are the same. This would only, on paper, be determined by part numbers."

"If the internal dimentions a

"If the internal dimentions are the same ,all the gear ratio`s have to fit.I`m more familiar with the Alpha`s and all the ratios fit in the same case. 1.32- 1.98. Just a wider space between the teeth."

"I understanding what you are

"I understanding what you are saying. For a manuf to produce different size gears for the same ratio and application would cause inventory problems.From Merc site Bravo 3 basic does not have in their upper unit, steel chimney bearing support,,reinforced ribbed top cap. I have no idea what is represented by the collection of words. But, i would expect that the Bravo 3 basic model is not as much, operationally robust. Scott do the research, you may be able to match a Bravo 3 X upper with your lower and even an other upper Bravo 1 or 2. The shaft that is attached to the UV could also be a problem!"

Back