Logo

both fuel pumps gone bad

buick430

Regular Contributor
Well after a three hour run and filling up the gas tanks, both fuel pumps started to leak from the weep holes. Ive never had them go bad at the same time.

It is very common with today's poor quality parts and today gasoline.

A few months ago My buddy and I took his 30' Carver Express from my dock to his slip that was 170 miles away. We went through the all the boats systems in preparation of the trip.

Seventy miles into the trip the port engines fuel pump failed. The pump had pumped less than a 100 gallons of fuel!!! West Marine sent us a replacement, but it added two days to are two day trip. The starboard engine has a Quicksilver replacement pump.

The replacement pump has failed after pumping ~120 gallons and WM has given us a second warrenty pump. All three pumps are from Sierra!

Attachments

• 457763_2697667643344_894177831_o.jpg
    457763_2697667643344_894177831_o.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 114
"New" doesn't mean it's new--it could have been sitting on the shelf for years.

At least your "new" pump didn't split a seam and start spraying gas in the bilge!

Jeff

Not sure what your engine is but I tossed that double diaphram pump and when to the part store and got an airtex sealed pump with fuel return barb $30

Not sure what your engine is but I tossed that double diaphram pump and when to the part store and got an airtex sealed pump with fuel return barb $30

Please correct me if I'm wrong here..... but the automotive Airtex fuel pump, and with NO diaphram burst protection, is not a USCG approved fuel pump.
This could be Bad Ju-Ju! :mad: :mad:

$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iLsDBQWKNV9!eQ~~60_1.JPG

Last edited:
See that dimple in the casting, just above the shadow brand name? Drill that hole out, press and epoxy a tube end in there, and hook a hose to it. Presto! A marine pump.

Jeff

See that dimple in the casting, just above the shadow brand name? Drill that hole out, press and epoxy a tube end in there, and hook a hose to it. Presto! A marine pump.
Jeff, I'd be willing to make you a gentleman's bet that the dimple is the lever arm pivot pin location. Yes/No????

Attachments

• Automotive Chrysler fuel pump.jpg
    Automotive Chrysler fuel pump.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 96
Jeff, I'll take your word at it..... but then where is the lever arm pivot point?

Bottom line.... on this forum, shouldn't we be recommending a Marine fuel pump, instead of a modified Automotive fuel pump??????

Do you have a part number for the airtex one? I tried to find the CARTER M6766 but there were non available locally and carter has temporarily stopped production.

The main reason I want to rebuild me current ones is that all the lines are custom fit and in really good condition. Any idea where to locate the new diaphragms and check valves?

Thanks for the help,
will

Not the issue with pre 1976 boats!
Are you suggesting that a pre '76 vessel is not required to be equipped with a Marine approved replacement fuel pump today?

I did fine this:

1736073-K4.jpg
FUEL PUMP KIT CHRYSLER-4" LM318/360
$222.49
CHY1736073-K4
Used to replace original design fuel pump used 1968-1975 LM318 and LM360 which had no vent tube from fuel pump to flame arrestor.
This kit supplies a new fuel pump, new flame arrestor (for 4" throat carburetor), and approximately 3' of tygon (semi-transparent)vent hose.

Supplied with mounting gasket.

Carter locates the port for the diaphram burst protection line as shown here.
Carter M6766 or Sierra # 18-7254

safe_image.php

Jeff, you may be correct re; the dimple. Here's a pump for the OHC Volvo Penta.
Looks like the vent is in a similar location as with the Chrysler automotive fuel pump "dimple".

images

Are you suggesting that a pre '76 vessel is not required to be equipped with a Marine approved replacement fuel pump today?

I did fine this:

1736073-K4.jpg
FUEL PUMP KIT CHRYSLER-4" LM318/360
$222.49
CHY1736073-K4
Used to replace original design fuel pump used 1968-1975 LM318 and LM360 which had no vent tube from fuel pump to flame arrestor.
This kit supplies a new fuel pump, new flame arrestor (for 4" throat carburetor), and approximately 3' of tygon (semi-transparent)vent hose.

Supplied with mounting gasket.

Carter locates the port for the diaphram burst protection line as shown here.
Carter M6766 or Sierra # 18-7254

safe_image.php

Jeff, you may be correct re; the dimple. Here's a pump for the OHC Volvo Penta.
Looks like the vent is in a similar location as with the Chrysler automotive fuel pump "dimple".

images

Your not required to add one if your boat did not come with one. Hell My Gar Wood does not have a blower....
I even drive a car that doesn't have ABS or a air bags!

Be sure there's a fuel return circuit so you don't overheat and aerate the fuel. And that goes for BOTH pumps. (Meaning, don't dead head the pumps.)

Jeff

It will have two returns, one from the surge tank and one from the pressure regulator. It should keep the fuel nice and cool.

Back