Logo

BF50 Head Gasket Replacement

dbfred17

BF50A Can one replace the head gasket without removing the power head from the unit.
It appears that the cam shaft retainer has bolts from the bottom

Head can be easily removed without removing the entire power head. Camshaft and oil pump will come off with the head.

Do get a manual! I'll guarantee you that having one is pretty much essential to getting through this job with any certainty of success.

Head can be easily removed without removing the entire power head. Camshaft and oil pump will come off with the head.

Do get a manual! I'll guarantee you that having one is pretty much essential to getting through this job with any certainty of success.
Thanks I thought i ordered one but It turned out to be a service manual No. 66ZV300-XX. Any Idea where I can get a on line manual that shows removal and assembly. I have near everything apart to the point ready to removing rocker arm.
For the moment can you help me from there.

Thanks I thought i ordered one but It turned out to be a service manual No. 66ZV300-XX. Any Idea where I can get a on line manual that shows removal and assembly. I have near everything apart to the point ready to removing rocker arm.
So your saying if I can access the head bolts the rocker and can can come off with the head

You probably already know this but I'll list it anyway.
The manual you need is: 61ZV300ES

You can buy it at:

Honda outboard manuals usually have very good resale value if in good condition. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to recoup a good portion of your money on the wrong one you purchased. But I couldn't find a reference for the 66ZV300XX manual on the publication's website. What outboard does that cover?

It's not necessary to remove the rocker arm shaft to remove the head. It's generally left in place.

The manual will list the exact steps necessary to do what you are doing. There's also really important info about the necessary torque values to do this job properly - the first time.

No online manual available to my knowledge....

Back