Logo

BF50 2006 Oil Leak from top of engine/crank shaft under the fly wheel .....

RLI01

Hi fellas
New oil leak from top of the engine (under the fly wheel) when full throttle.......no leak at normal speed.

Engine running great otherwise......

Oil seal done ....?
Can I easily replace ...?

Please council me on this fellas ....

If it is a major breakdown to replace should I do a rebuild too .....

Thanks all kindly

Yours Simon

What kind of compression do you have? If there's a few rings that aren't seating for whatever reason, they may let some of your compression into the inside of the crankcase. That pressure is eventually going to build until it has to go SOMEWHERE, and your top seal may be the easiest route.

Where I usually see a top seal that's shot is when tilting the motor up. That can release a puddle of oil that really makes a mess of the front of the motor.....

That said, I've done several top seals without pulling the motor. Remove the old one, put a dab of sealant on each side where the case halves meet, oil the new seal up and CAREFULLY slide it into place. -Al

Interesting... thanks Alan
I did a pressure test bout 6 months ago... all good but will test tomorrow again

To change the seal ..... remove fly wheel ..... pull seal and replace .... straight forward or do I need tricks/tools

I'll keep you posted .....
😎
What kind of compression do you have? If there's a few rings that aren't seating for whatever reason, they may let some of your compression into the inside of the crankcase. That pressure is eventually going to build until it has to go SOMEWHERE, and your top seal may be the easiest route.

Where I usually see a top seal that's shot is when tilting the motor up. That can release a puddle of oil that really makes a mess of the front of the motor.....

That said, I've done several top seals without pulling the motor. Remove the old one, put a dab of sealant on each side where the case halves meet, oil the new seal up and CAREFULLY slide it into place. -Al

I did compression test and all three cylinders have nearly identical readings......
I ordered a new oil seal

Could you advise me on the procedure/technique to replace it ...

Thanks

Once the flywheel is removed (easy) I think you'll find it all pretty straight forward. Just be careful when getting the new seal started (straight). I don't use any special tools, and everything is easy to get to. Shouldn't be anything too special for a DIY'er used to doing mechanical work.....

I say this while knocking on wood, but I've never had to do one over again.....

Once the flywheel is removed (easy) I think you'll find it all pretty straight forward. Just be careful when getting the new seal started (straight). I don't use any special tools, and everything is easy to get to. Shouldn't be anything too special for a DIY'er used to doing mechanical work.....

I say this while knocking on wood, but I've never had to do one over again.....
I removed the flywheel today to access the locknut on the crankshaft ..... I measured the locknut with calipers and got 56mm ...I looked up said locknut on Honda Marine parts and it said 48 mm ......
Do you know what socket size as I have to order it off Amazon..... could not find it locally

Might sound a bit barbaric, but I generally use a cold chisel on that nut. It's never taken much to loosen on the ones I've done....

Back