Logo

Bf35a quit pissing

Kcollins

Hey guys I have a 1990 bf 35 a that has quit peeing on me after riding for a while. It did this about a month ago, I start it up once the boat is in the water and it pees fine then after 5 or 10 minutes of running the flows slows down until it stops completely. The temp lights never change and doesn't seem to be over heating. I changed the water pump, housing,etc.( factory Honda parts). I ran the boat for about an hour after I replaced the pump and it did fine but I used it this morning and I am back to having the same issue. I wouldn't think the pump has gone back out again so quick?

You probably have a clog in the telltale hose or behind the nipple that the hose connects to....going into the power head.

If you use a paperclip or similar wire and push it up the telltale hose while the engine is running....that might clear it.

You could also try to blast it with compressed air (while the engine is running) and that might clear it. Even a can of compressed air that you use to clean your computer keyboard will work if you stick the straw up the telltail hole.

If the clog keeps coming back, you will probably have to remove the nipple in the block and clear it there. There may be a small pebble that can not be cleared otherwise.

Mike

I second removing the nipple and letting the power of that new pump clear it for you.

Good luck.

Ok I finally got around to messing with it this evening and I found a small pebble behind the nipple inside the power head. I removed the pebble and put the boat in the pond to let it run for a while. It has a very strong stream now and never seemed to slack up any. Thank y'all for all your help. It's hard to believe that's all it takes to stop that port up!

Yep! It's sorta the bane of outboard ownership. Happens to everyone from time to time. Just poking in the fitting with wire or weed eater line doesn't always do the trick.

The good news is that now you know what a great job you did installing the water pump! ;>)

Back