Logo

bf130 water routing and cooling

swade

Contributing Member
Another question...

Is it safe to say:

1) pgmfi lights self check work and no alarms. Both light up on key and beep check works, on start oil stays on (normal green). water goes out.
2) hot water out of the prop
3) pee hole seems ok, still cleaning out the t connectors.

That things are cooling ok?

I don't know much history of this motor. I know the thermostat and impeller is new i just changed them, and had pulled the water jacket cover, for a 10 year old brackish salt water motor it looked pretty clean in there, just deposits here and there, nothing i would call extreme build up, i did clean up the anodes in there and scrape and vac some deposits out.

i've only been running it 5 minutes or so on the hose. water jacket and thermostat cover feel hot but not sure if that means anything or if i even know what hot is.

I'm not sure how the water routes looking at the shop manual to know if the thermostat is opening...

I did find a previous post where mike explained the ohm readings to check the overheat sensor so i'll probably do that too just to be safe readings are ok. Probably not a bad idea to pull that just to make sure it's clean too.

Thanks! shawn

Last edited:
Hi mike,

Thanks that's probably it then. Has good water flow and i ran it bit longer on the hose today no alarms. But good point, i'll add that to my HF list, there's one on sale right now for only 10 bucks. Getting a bit closer to getting it in the water...

That little HF thermometer is pretty handy, i picked one up the small one the other night on sale for 8.99, money well spent for peace of mind! i did just like you said and measured at the thermostat and things we're much cooler than i thought. around 163 give or take 5 degree of accuracy. thanks for the tip!

Back