Logo

bf130 couple of questions

swade

Contributing Member
Hi!
I've got mine off the boat, lower unit pulled, transom bracket apart,etc to clean and repaint everything and have couple of questions

The shift shaft water seal, is that replaced from top or bottom? I pulled the cclip and i didn't know what that was under the washer crud or the remains of a gasket. Just wondering if I can replace that from below, I can't quite tell from the repair manual.

Anyone know how to remove the cover handle? I thought it was an allen key in that little hole but it's not, can't seem to find in the repair books anything on removing this.

Don't supposed anyone knows of tip to easily remove the swivel from the mount frame? I don't have a hydraulic press but looks like one will be required for removal/reinsert. Anyway I can take it apart without a press? I can always work the putting together out later. Why honda makes this swivel out of such crap i have no idea...never seen one that didn't look like it was dug out of the ocean from roman times. My df50 is swivel is looking like crap as well. I'm going to pull mine off sand blast it, then epoxy over it with any luck.

The shift shaft water seals (yes there are two), install from the bottom. If you have taken the e clip off of the shaft and the powerhead is still on and you move the shaft, you may throw your shift linkage out of sync.

If you are talking of the side handle. It is held on by a spring pin. You just drive it out with a punch.

I have never had to remove the swivel from the frame. It appears that it is pressed out and pressed back in.

Mike

Hi Mike,

The shift shaft water seals (yes there are two), install from the bottom. If you have taken the e clip off of the shaft and the powerhead is still on and you move the shaft, you may throw your shift linkage out of sync.

If you are talking of the side handle. It is held on by a spring pin. You just drive it out with a punch.

I have never had to remove the swivel from the frame. It appears that it is pressed out and pressed back in.

Mike

Thanks! you are right i can see now in the diagrams if you push up and turn you'll get out of whack. Thanks for the info i'll look at this diagram a bit more looks like it requires a couple of special tools then to get it in. Not sure how bad they are aside from that lip area but i'll probably try it while it's apart.

I assume you have to remove the clip to replace the seals? if so just maybe be careful not to push up and turn the shaft receiver?

Thanks for the handle tip, that makes sense.

I'll stew over this swivel a bit, looks for sure going to require a press and special tools or something similiar to them. It's plenty beefy still but it literally looks like a rusted clump of iron. When i brushed off the loose stuff i saw there was plenty left maybe 1/8 rusted off all the way around, could leave it but seems while i have all this apart i should do something to it.

Thanks again!

I see the outer shift seal now after using a pick to pull some of the crud out, it looks pretty good and is soft, i'll probably leave it. I just couldn't see it from all the rust crud jammed in around there. Best guess is the rust crud is from the swivel arm that has worked it's way up there around the years as that is right below it and it's steel looking rust dirt not aluminum oxide. Shift socket there looks fine and clean.

Mike, do you have an opinion on primer for salt water which would be better zinc chromate (from a spray can, Moeller) or epoxy? Though for epoxy i'll probably stick with a non isocynate one as I don't have supplied air. The midsection still looks perfect but I had to sand blast the lower unit, and the cowling i'm sanding as well so I'll shoot everything with sprayer.

No, I work on mostly fresh water motors. I do not have limited experience with salt water and motors.

I am sure someone else will jump in that is near one of the coasts to give some advice.

Mike

Back