Logo

BF100 Water in engine oil – Please Help

Bagger...
You DA MAN!
I've seen pretty good car mechanics that wouldn't TRY to do what you just DID!

You ain't no "fraidy cat"! Dig right in and GIT 'ER DONE!

I LIKE THAT!

When you get your little twin sorted out, you will know more than most!

Pull that valve cover and see if there's a bunch of gunk under there. And, if you haven't looked in the tstat housing yet, it's time. I hope it's not too corroded in there. I can't believe I forgot to have you check that but I do get tunnel vision at times.

Last edited:
Pulled valve cover and found no goop, looked very clean. Checked the tstat and found that it does have one and tested it in high temp water and it does open at the appropriate temp. Any other thoughts other than head gasket - thanks again for the help.

baggerman

Hmmmm. I hope it's the head gasket because, if it's not, I can't think of where else it could be entering from.

At least you know that you did some good with the other work you've already done.

Nothing left to do but to try a new head gasket.

There are six bolts and all but two of them are different lengths.
Draw yourself a diagram of how the bolts came out. Or, take pictures or both.

Loosen the end bolts first. Loosen one end bolt then the one catty-corner on the other end. Then the other two end bolts and then the two middle.

This is done this way to allow the head to "relax" evenly. The bolts will be tightened in a similar manner when you reinstall to prevent the head or the deck from warping. These steps aren't as critical for a small engine like this but, physics can trip you up and this is good technique.

There is an Oring under the head and is nestled in a cut-out on the gasket much like the small one you replaced on the oil pan. I suspect that the Oring is failed and that is the source of your leak. Once it and a new head gasket are installed, I am hoping you won't have any more water in the oil and you should be eligible for your Honda Twin Engine Mechanics Certification;>)

I will be watching and I have the torque specifications for the head bolts should you need them.

Last edited:
Ok Guys I am back with an update – First let me say I really appreciate all of your help. Would have been back sooner if I did not have computer problems which I think are fixed now. Anyway I took off the head and replaced the head gasket and the O-ring that jgmo suggested. Put it back together - ran the motor in the bucket and found that there was only a very very small trace of a white streak in the oil when drained. Put the motor on 12’ Valco and tried it on a lake with a WOT. Could not get it up on a plane, took if off the lake drained the oil and found that I had no white streak in the oil – PURE OIL - “THAT IS”. I feel like a Clampett and will be moving to Beverly Hills.

What have I been learning on this ADVENTURE - No water in the oil – Great! But why could I not get on a plane? Checked compression again and found that both cylinders were reading 105 PSI with WOT which was a drop from my previous measurement of 130 PSI – Why? How did I mess-up by putting in a new head gasket and O-ring? Yep you guessed it, even though I marked the belt and the sprocket before removing the belt, my timing belt was still off one notch on the cam sprocket according to the manual. I reset the timing per the manual and now my compression is back up to 130. Refilled the engine with oil and ran it in a bucket of water for about 30 minutes and drained the oil - Again small traces of water in the oil. Refilled the engine again with oil and took the boat out on the lake and ran it - the boat now planes. Took it of the lake and drained the oil again and found again pure oil - no white streaks at all.

I’m confused – engine in a bucket of water find slight traces of water. Take it out on the lake running WOT off and on – pure oil, no water in the oil.

That IS confusing!

What might be happening though is that you may not be getting the engine hot enough in the bucket to steam off naturally occurring condensate. Is it humid where you live?

I live in northern Ca, Placerville. I have one thought that may be the problem. I noticed that when I replaced the oil filler body there was some pitting on the block exactly where the gasket with the embedded O-Ring is located. Maybe I should have put some type of sealant before I put the gasket and new oil filler body on. I’m I thinking right - What do you guys think?

I don't know. Anything is possible, that's for sure. The main thing is that, if going back in and putting some sealant on those pits would give you some peace of mind, then that's what you could do.

I would run it and keep a close eye on it first though because you say you don't see signs of water after running it hard. And, that's when the water pressure is the greatest.

Back