Logo

BF 150 impeller changeout

jlblau

I'm thinking of changing out my impeller myself. Is this something that a Honda mechanic should do instead?

If I do it myself, are there any tricks or pitfalls?

Thanks

I did mine this spring after 200 hours. I would suggest getting the Honda manual, I cheaped out and got the pdf version. It's clunky because there's it's not indexable, but if you only use it occasionally it works. I found the honda easier to do then my older Merc/Mariner 90.
A second set of hands when you drop the gear case won't hurt either.
All in all, if you are reasonably mechanically inclined it's a do it yourself project. When you drop the gear case, don't forget the bolt under the fin. Other than that, if the old impeller is missing blades, make sure you get them out. You didn't say how many hours on it, but consider at the same time replacing the two thermostats.

Folks, I thought I would try one bump on this topic. Surely there are several who have an opinion on an impeller changeout.

Thanks again.

changed mine by myself with no manual(i had ordered it but i could not wait to get the boat on the water) all in all pretty simple just pay attention how stuff comes apart and yes another set of hands is helpful

Back