Logo

Best place to buy 454 Crusader turn key engines?

contender31

Regular Contributor
Looking to replace my carbureted 454 330 hp Crusadsers with higher hp Crusaders. Where is the best place to buy turn key ( all inclusive ) engines at a reasonalbe price? I would prefer electronic ignition and not use my old parts on new engines. Your ideas and hints would be greatly appreciated. I live in South Florida and could use leads on a reliable inexpensive mechanic that could do the switch. I am told my borg warner velvet drives would handle up to 420 hp??? I have a 1990 33 foot Tiara Open that is appr.14,000 lbs and the 330 hp engines labor too much and eat too much fuel.

Thanks and look forward to your help.
 
I am sure you realize the expense involved in this swap. Have you re-evaluated the boat dollar wise and determine if you may be better off selling it and re-purchasing something different?

I looked into this 4 years ago when I had to repair both top ends and complete cooling and exhaust systems. I am probably STILL $14,000.00 ahead
 
I replaced my twin 454 330 HP Mercs with Crusader 5.7 EFI(350ci)330 HP and rebuilt Velvet Drives in 2007. Doing the work my self it still ran me $22,000. Taking about 900 Lbs. out of the boat & fuel injection improved the performance. I am very happy the way it turned out. My 1984 is basically a new boat. However, new engines don't increase resale value much so you better plan on keeping the boat for a long time ( no structural problems or hull blisters) . If you go for bigger engines for more HP your going to burn the same or more fuel. You will most likely have to go for new transmissions because you cannot buy right hand rotation above the 5.7. The engine beds will most likely need some modifications and new or reworked props. The only way your going to up power and save fuel is to go diesel and that's another $$$tory.
 
Rick,

Given your experience with this .... just how much do you think labor would be for this project...I know it is ball park but which ballpark might you suggest offhand?
 
Thank yu all for your comments it is greatly appreciated. I am in the process of pricing bobtails vs. long bocks and will advise as soon as I get more data coming in. The problem with older engines is old technology and parts. The parts on my existing engines are in need of replacment and I for one am not a big fan of dumping old parts on new engines. I would need to replace the following - water pumps, alternators, starters, exhaust mainifolds, risers and elbows. I only paid 30 K for the boat and did the interior myself for 4K complete. The hull and balance of the boat is in pretty good condition. I have a decision to make - either keep pouring labor and parts into these 1300 hr engines, rebuild what I have or replace them with newer technology.

Any more comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Al, It varies so much by boat style and motor location. This is the flat rate chart from Crusader. As you can see, they allow twice the time for a double cabin as they do an open or sportfish. These times are for R&R of the exact same motor. You can add considerable time to that if you need to modify fuel lines, battery cables, water hoses, etc.

Contender, PM me if you like and I'll give you a very competitive price on new bobtail engines.

Rick
 

Attachments

  • engine flat rate.jpg
    engine flat rate.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,312
10.jpgThis is the way my engines & trans were delivered by 1800runsnew. I paid $900. each for the rebuilt trans & they installed & test ran them. These were truly "drop in" replacements. If you go fuel injected (well worth the $) be sure to get the" returnless" fuel system. The new exhaust is 4" your old is probably 3" going to require some fabrication to the collector pipes. You need a wiring harness that connects to the old harness. Good news is the wiring is standard, your old gauges & ignition switches will work with the computer on the new engines.
Good Luck,
Lou
 
Back
Top