Logo

Bertram 302 Engine to 347 Stroker (350)

18fourwinns

hello ALL. let me say first This Site is a wealth of information! as I us this all the time for me to learn and research, its now my turn to post a question

looking to buy a Bertram 28, and found a good fit for me, however the engines have been rebuilt and modified. they have about 600 hrs.
original engines are 302 Raw water cooled. and "stroked out" to be 347, (350 stroker) this is all the info I have I really do not know the specific parts they put in nor the horse power output.
the 302, put out 225hp each and from what i read the 347 can put out as much as 400hp. the current modification now has Fresh Water cooled to the 350 stroker engines.
my question is ? does this boat having these engines modified SUCK on gas? (even more and worse than what a boat does)

I have not asked the owner the current fuel consumption but I'm thinking he will not know

depends upon who did the mod and if they jetted the carbs to optimize the fuel delivery.

Probably worth the time and expense to get a surveyor involved...

Just be aware that Ford left the marine market decades ago so not all parts are readily available...

hello ALL. let me say first This Site is a wealth of information! as I us this all the time for me to learn and research, its now my turn to post a question

looking to buy a Bertram 28, and found a good fit for me, however the engines have been rebuilt and modified. they have about 600 hrs.
original engines are 302 Raw water cooled. and "stroked out" to be 347, (350 stroker) this is all the info I have I really do not know the specific parts they put in nor the horse power output.
the 302, put out 225hp each and from what i read the 347 can put out as much as 400hp. the current modification now has Fresh Water cooled to the 350 stroker engines.
my question is ? does this boat having these engines modified SUCK on gas? (even more and worse than what a boat does)

I have not asked the owner the current fuel consumption but I'm thinking he will not know

It would be impossible for anyone but the owner to know current fuel consumption. You could try to buy flowscan meters and install them prior to a lengthy test drive... But for the most part, hull/cruise/prop/carb will have a much bigger affect on fuel economy than the cui of the engine.

If they have 600 hrs post mod., and they still have good compression and oil presser, I would personally consider the upgrade a blessing.

Yeah.. it seems from more reading into it , this should not be a problem for me. and for the most part I like to cruise 18knotts or so. I'm looking for the best long range as there are a few banks out here that need a good 100 mile run

Back