Logo

Bent valve

el_gato

"I posted the below informatio

"I posted the below information on another forum over the weekend. I couldn't log into this forum to post it here. I would like to get any other ideas forum foum members.

thanks,
Aubrey}

I had the timing belts changed on my BF225 Honda's this week. I received a call from the shop Friday PM that there is a problem with one of the motors. I go to the shop this morning and they tell me that when starting the starboard engine after the belt change it was running rough. They pull the plugs and there is no compression on the right bank. When I arrived they were doing a leakdown test on the right bank. The numbers were high.

I am thinking they screwed up the timing. The tech assured me the timing was right. They pull the head and find one of the valves is bent, and no indication that the valves hit the piston(I couldn't see any). Now they are telling me that excessive carbon build up in the head caused this failure.

My motors have 1300 hours on them. The same shop(authorized) has done all of the scheduled maintenance. The plugs have been pulled every 100 hrs and the plugs have always been whitish and no indications of carbon buildup. The plugs were last pulled about 20 hours ago. I do not use Ringfree or any of the other similar products. The engine appeared to be running normally when used the last time about 3 weeks ago

The shop owner is telling me that the carbon buildup bent the valve an broke the valve guide. They want to replace the valve and do a shock treatment of ringfree. I am having a hard time believing this one. Can anyone enlighten me?

A compression test has been done everytime the plugs have been pulled. All cylinders have always been good. I don't know of a leakdown check having been performed before. The plugs were blackened when they came out this time. I really can't see that carbon can be an issue now. The owner's answer was that it was from using ethenol and not using Ringfree.

One of the heads on this motor was changed out at 600 hours under warranty due to a plug freezing and pulling out the threads on removal. When the heads were pulled then I couldn't see any carbon buildup and the tech also remarked that the engines looked clean. Honda also replaced the exhaust stacks on the motors. The replacements had a larger vacuum break to keep the engines from back flushing water on shutdown. No problem with plugs since then.

One thing that I confuses me is that they say only one valve is damaged. It seems to me that if it were a timing issue that more damage would have been done.

would sure like to get the Honda tech guy to look at it but with all issues before I have gone through the dealer. Will they talk to me directly? I have never foud a tech support number.

I don't really understand how only one valve could be bent. I have never seen a cylinder heavily carboned, but what I saw in my cylinders when the head was pulled did not look like it should cause this kind of problem.

The owner wants to replace the bent valve and guide, assemble it, and then do a shock treatment for the carbon. I think if they do this and there is more damage, it will manifest itself then. It will be the 17th before the can get the valve shipped in so I have a couple of days to check on things.

I went to the shop this morning to talk to the owner. He is still maintaining that it was a carbon buildup that caused the problem. I told him that I believed that the only way the valve could have bent is for the valve to contact the cylinder. He said that it did not because there was no evidence of the contact. Well after a little pissing contest and me getting a little hot under the collar, I told him that I wanted to speak to the Honda tech rep. I called the tech rep and the first question he asked was who gave me the number(A little adversarial from the beginning). The short story is that he didn't want to get involved between me and the dealer. I asked him what would bend a valve. He did say that the only way was for the valve to contact a cylinder. He also asked me why I was having the timing belt changed. I told him because the motors had 1300 hours on them and I thought it was time. He said that Honda never recommends a belt change unless there is indications of problems with the belt. I said that since it was an interference engine that I just wanted to use extra insurance of a good belt. He again stated that it is not necessary and that he has 1990 engines with thousands of hours that have never had a belt change.

One thing in my earlier post, I said that the valve guide had been broken. That was an error on my part. It was a spacer instead."

"My guess is that the new belt

"My guess is that the new belt was installed improperly, i.e. "timing wise". They cranked the engine and during the starting crank, the piston hit and bet the valve. Then they reinstalled the belt proerly. Too late!
I actualy had something like this happen to me on a V8 inboard when the mechanic "lost" the hold down nut on the top of the flame arrester. He did not look for it and just replaced it. The nut had dropped down the carb throat and wedged under a valve seat...
Insert Key in ignition, start...urrr, urrr, urrr, BANG!

Re: carbon under the valve....BS! If it was there hard enough and big enough to keep the valve wide (or almost wide) open, it would still be there wedged between the valve and the valve seat.... AND BTW, the engine would have run like crap as that deposit was building up and would have burned that valve LONG before it got bent."

"It's a shame for somethin

"It's a shame for something like that to happen, & would have to agree with Robert A."

"More bad news. I had a call f

"More bad news. I had a call fro the shop today. The head with the bent valve was sent to a machine shop. More valves were bent. I do not know whether it is intake or exhaust valves and it may be all. I'm working tomorrow so will deal with it next week.

BTW, the engines are 05's but I bought them in Dec '04 so it is not a warranty issue.

I do have another question if somone could help me. Is it possible that the engine could be running smoothly with no noticeable decrease in performance and the compression good on all cylinders with multiple bent valves?"

"In regards to you last questi

"In regards to you last question,
<font color=""0077aa"">Is it possible that the engine could be running smoothly with no noticeable decrease in performance and the compression good on all cylinders with multiple bent valves?
</font><font color=""000000""><font size=""+2"">NO</font></font>"

I guess there were little piec

I guess there were little pieces of carbon under each of the valves that were bent that have all since disappeared ???

PS... Ditto "SR"s answer...

"So damage is definitely cause

"So damage is definitely caused by an incorrectly fitted timing belt then, if it was running fine before the timing belt renewal.
Looks like you'll only be paying for the timing belt renewal, & the technician will be getting a big kick up the ar.. !!"

I picked up my boat today. Six

I picked up my boat today. Six intake valves were replaced on the questionable head. I was able to work out a deal with the owner.

Thanks to all for your information. It really helps to have a knowledge base here as a back up.

Back