Logo

Battery Swith ?

Terrifoster20

Ok, we are still trying to figure out this new/used boat..we thought the batterys or starter was bad but no that's not it. when we use the number two position or the both battery position the boat starts right up.. but if you put it on position one 1 all it does is chatter like the battery is dead or starter is messed up. we switched the batterys to see if that was it no still starting in position two but not on position one.. looking at the wiring battery one is where everything is wired lights, pumps etc.. but when switch is in position one all acc. work fine. it just won't start in that position. any idea's I just want this fixed so I can go out fishing.

First place to look is the connections to the battery switch for #1. If that cable and its connection are OK. Then check that battery #1's connection to ground is solid (it should go ditectly to the block). If all OK, then possible that the battery switch itself is NG is position #1. Starter needs lots of power so while accessories may work fine, engine won't start if any of the above things are wrong. IF you have a voltmeter on your dashboard, see what value it has when in position #1 and then for position #2 for "ignition just on" and "ignition in crank position". A poor connection (or bad battery ( not your issue), then you will see voltage drop below 10 volts.

Ok, we are still trying to figure out this new/used boat.. we thought the batterys or starter was bad but no that's not it. when we use the number two position or the both battery position the boat starts right up.. but if you put it on position one 1 all it does is chatter like the battery is dead or starter is messed up.
we switched the batterys to see if that was it no still starting in position two but not on position one..
By chance is this MBSS (main battery selector switch) a 90* sweep Perko?
If so, they have small contacts and a rather light spring tension.
Your #1 position contacts may be weak and may not be conducting enough 12 vdc current needed for cranking.

Also take a good look at all Negative battery cables.
Current must be able to flow equally through both the Postive and Negative cables.
Negative cables should make a direct engine block connection, of which will be your "system negative common".

looking at the wiring battery one is where everything is wired lights, pumps etc..
In my book, that would be incorrect.
Nothing but battery cables should be connected directly to each battery bank.
Let the MBSS do the selection for you via the "common" terminal and "common" cable that eventually powers the engine harness/hull harness.

That said, on some of these boats you may see that the power trim pump makes a direct battery connection.

but when switch is in position one all acc. work fine. it just won't start in that position. any idea's I just want this fixed so I can go out fishing.
See above.

Back