Logo

Ball Gears

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
"G'day all,

I have a re

"G'day all,

I have a request that I am hoping someone can give me some idea of what I actually have as far as model and all that other information.

I have an OMC Stern Drive unit in me Chris Craft Gull Wing that the only Model Numbers I have found on it are "Model Number 979934" and what looks like a Serial Number of W1139.

I am trying to find replacement Ball Gears and amne coming up with ones similar in shape, but different size dimentions.

What I have is the Intermediate Gear Part Number 310324 cast into the inner face, and on the other Ball Gear, Casting Number 314579.

These are the Press-on variety, and I know that the later ones will not fit, which is a nuisance, as you can well understand.

Now, I believe the Hull was built in early 1973, as there is a 1973 tag on the front of the Fuel Line, and a 1972 tag on the Fuel Tank. Plus, with the OMC Unit using the Press-on Ball Gears, and Electric gear shift, I am lead to believe that the Engine/Leg combination was provided to Chris Craft in late 1972.

All leads appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce."

"Here is a blow up of a 72 dri

"Here is a blow up of a 72 drive see item 55

55 0314579 BALL GEAR, Shaft 1 $289.85 USD Available

You can order through this site just click on engine parts at the top

283685.png"" alt=""

"Here is a pic of a 72 Interme

"Here is a pic of a 72 Intermediate, see item # 51 but you will need to know the exact model # for the right ball gear

51 0979738 DRIVESHAFT & BALL GEAR. "S" MODELS ONLY 1 $300.00 USD Available
51 0979972 DRIVESHAFT & BALL GEAR. "C" MODELS ONLY 1 $1,247.98 USD

283688.png"" alt=""

"Thanks for the replies, and t

"Thanks for the replies, and the email,

One thing that has me perplexed, is that I cannot for the life of me, see where any of those Model Letter Identification sets are on this unit I have. Only the 979935 Model Number is stamped into the plate, and I have searched high and low for other identifiers. No HU's, C or S, or anything that looks like it.

There is nothing on the Engine, Bellhousing, Intermediate Housing or the Leg to say that it is any model other than the 979934 and Serial Number W 1139 on the Leg, and W267400 on the Intermediate Housing which I take it to be a Model 400

Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

Bruce."

"Go to the BRP site and do an

"Go to the BRP site and do an advanced search on the part numbers You mentioned in Your first posting (314579). Then it will come up with 'where used'. It seems to be in the range 1969 to 1972, which definitely leaves out the 400!!
This should get You close enough to find parts needed. Then is just the question if they are still available!"

"Thanks Morten,

Yes, mine i

"Thanks Morten,

Yes, mine is an Electric Shift, and the Exhaust exits out the Leg, above the Propeller.

But, how can I find out which series mine is?

All the sites mention "H?"designation, and C or S or another letter, and no mention of the Number that is stamped into the ID Plate on mine.

It is like chasing one's tail, and still not getting anywhere.

By the way, I put in the Part Number, and still came up with nothing. I must be doing something wrong.

Bruce."

"Click 'part list'.
G

"Click 'part list'.
Go 'advanced search'
Enter part number.
You may partly forget about all the suffixes, that has mainly to do with engine and steering systems as well as High/Low profile."

"It comes up as the Ball Gear,

"It comes up as the Ball Gear, but not available from them.

Now, mine has the cable steering on a drum that is on the side of the Intermediate Housing and the shaft goes through to the rear and operates the Leg via a gear.

Now, how do I identify if it is a High or Low Profile?

Thanks,

Bruce."

"Its available from Marine Eng

"Its available from Marine Engine, but at a hefty price!! Use the same part number in the part search on Marine Engine.
High/Low profile is about the leg length. You most likely has a low profile, but post a pick from the side, and we may tell You."

"Thanks Hy Stat.

What dicta

"Thanks Hy Stat.

What dictates a High Profile from a Low Profile?

And, still can't find any Series Numbers on either the Rocker Covers, or the Exhaust Manifolds.

Bruce."

Just that the High Profile leg

Just that the High Profile leg is about 8" longer than the low profile. Like a long and short outboard. It mainly comes in play if You need the pump/drive shaft replaced.
Did You find he gear at Marine Engine?

"Thanks for the description.

"Thanks for the description.

I found the parts at Marine Engine, and am still recovering from seeing the prices.

Don't forget that getting these parts to me here in Tasmania is going to cost a further Arm and a Leg as they aren't lightweight.

If I can find good used ones, I would be happier. Mine are worn out, but still useable if the worst comes to the worst.

Plus, I won't be in desperate need for then till around October/November this year, as I still have the Winter to rebuild the engine, and complete the re-wooding of the Hull.

Bruce."

Back