Logo

bait tank

dominus7

I have a Glasspar boat which is extremely buoyant. I installed bait pump on the port side transom as low as I could go, but when I go fast it creates a vacuum and I get no water flow. Should I move it down to the middle of transom, right under the motor? Does that part stay submerged at all times?

Is bait pump designed to pump water while craft is moving? what kind of plumbing are we talking about pvc piping attached to hull?

My Ranger has the live well intake situated under the motor on the bottom of the transom.

Another neat thing is it uses a Flow Rite valve. https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/valves These valves allow you to select fresh water as the source for the live well pump or recirculate. So, when you're underway the live well pulls it's own water and aerates. When you're at low speed, drifting, trolling, etc you can put it back on fresh water and draw sea water to refresh the well.

KJ

The intake just has to be at a point where it is below the water line when the pump is running. When running on plane, none of your transom should be submerged. That's why I suggested the Flow Rite valve. When you're on plane just switch it to recirculate so that it is aerating the water. When you're stopped or slow trolling switch the valve to FILL and it will draw in lake/sea water to refill the bait well.

Yes, but sometimes I go as far as 40 miles out and that takes over an hour. The saltwater bait will not survive with just recirculating water

Your only solution is a thru hull water pickup. You can make a little sea chest to strain the water before it gets to the pump. That way you can clean the strainer on the fly if it picks up some seaweed or trash.

well done kimcrwbr1, I was going to suggest the 5 gallon bucket tied to a rope method over the side while running,1960s style LOL.

Back