Logo

Baffling Overheat and Restoring Trust

adam_g

Contributing Member
We were skiing for 20 minutes when the engine (7.4 L Bravo 1) overheated. We were no where near shallow water for the previous 20 minutes. Immediately we shut down. I checked drive water intakes-clear. We waited about 10 minutes and restarted and almost immediately overheated again. I got a tow back to my dock and as soon as it cooled down enough, I took the seawater pump off since I was so sure that I lost the impeller... why would I bother to check anything else? Impeller was perfect and clean. I started to unhook hoses and blow through them - no apparent obstructions. Removed the thermostat and put it on the stove-worked fine. Checked all the belts everthing ok. Put everthing back together and viola...no more overheat. Did it again the next day. Right up to temp and ok. Took it out for a spin and no problems. Since I could not find a problem I don't trust the boat anymore. Anyone have any ideas on restoring trust in my boat by providing a logical or illogical explanation?

maybe a plastic bag got wrapped around your drive happened to me, What is good is you watch that gauge and stopped. When you stopped the bag fell off.

Maybe it wasn't a bag maybe seaweed.I had that happen on a lake.

when you say overheated, did you get an alarm and boat go into limp mode or did you notice it just by the temp gauge? could also be a loose wire on the sender or the other stuff mentioned above. I have had a few seaweed experiences. a floating blob in the middle of nowhere, that's boating.

one time I picked up a small plastic wrapper and the temp went to max . I however had this stuck on the lower unit so it was no mystery.

testing the thermostat and flushing you should be good..

Back