Logo

bad oil pump? that's my guess AQ130C failure analysis

hystat

Outstanding Contributor
A few years ago, I traded about $50 worth of OMC parts for an AQ130C engine at a marine outdrive rebuild place. The guy knew nothing about the motor. he had collected the engine with an outdrive.
I just recently got around to looking at it (had the starter off my 131's B18 anyhow, so thought I would use it to do a comp test/evaluation of this B20 now)

My thoughts so far: looks like a fresh but poor rebuild recently done....an abrupt oil pump failure made the p.o. give up on it.

The oil pump shaft is splayed open and it broke and bent the distributor shaft from the load. Oddly I don't see any debris locking the pump, but some telling wear on the gears - says misalignment- corner loading and contact fatigue of the pump gear teeth... it was not a good pump.
I pulled the rod bearing caps.... almost look like new bearings- notice the rebuilder's finger print on the #1 rod cap
smile.png
I suppose the FBI could help me find him...haha
talk about signing your work
aq130c008.jpg

aq130c012.jpg

aq130c010.jpg

aq130c013.jpg

aq130c002.jpg

Curious as to what caused the failure. Was the pump actually seized or perhaps the distributor gear shaft bushing that was worn and caused the shaft to wobble?

Don't know how common the problem is, but ipdusa sells a reinforcing ring to keep those ears from shearing off.

hmm... both going on in there I think
The corner loading on the gears says the pump had manufacturing issues (didn't get a good pic of them, but definitley the gears were running at an angle to each other. ), but that is interesting. The distributor shaft is bent .
I can see why IPD would have that update.
if one had a high volume pump or running high rpms, or the pump was under excess load from thick oil, or any reason, that distributor shaft sure is wimpy for the job imo...
going to pull the dizzy out of my B18 now and see how it looks

Back