Logo

Avoid this Potential Problem with Johnson Evinrude Control

doryman

Today, while doing a start switch transplant on the control from my late eighty's 70 hp, I was reminded of the last time I was inside a control box. Not my favorite task, but I'm glad I did because it helped me dodge a bullet. There is a design conflict between the neutral safety switch and the throttle friction adjustment lever. Over time, wear on the friction interface occurs and as the adjustment knob is turned in to compensate and maintain friction, eventually the rod part of the adjuster hits the neutral safety switch. At this point friction adjustment is no longer effective and the throttle will slip. Naturally, we tend to turn that adjust knob, which now pushes hard against the neutral safety switch breaking one of the attachment screw tabs. At that point the switch rotates enough to stick the throttle in neutral. Really stuck, no easy workaround. This happened to us on a friend's boat 7-8 years ago, on the ocean, and again to me about 3 years back. At that time I figured out the problem, but took the easy way out and just swapped on another control I had.

Today, swapping out that broken start switch, I thought to check, and sure enough, it was out of adjustment and pushing against the switch. At least I dodged the bullet and it didn't happen on the water.

Now, Start switch installed, (A seemingly simple task that tends to work me over more than it should), I need to take a hard look and McGuyver a way to get some friction back. Oh yeah, and take apart another old control to replace the detent roller that grasshoppered off to some dusty corner of the shop. I had my back turned when I heard that click. Instantly recognizing the sound, No idea of where it went, I didn't even bother to look. I've lost two detent rollers in the last decade, now only one left, in a nearly froze up box someone gave me. Good junk.... Parts is parts, to quote Kodi Bass.

Anyway, Thought I'd throw that bit of info out there. Maybe save someone the fun of breaking down twenty miles out. Probably common knowledge in some circles though....Cheers, JE/doryman

Rereading this, a better description would be that at the end of normal travel, the left hand thread on the rod advances the plastic actuator nut into the neutral safety switch which will break the attachment lug off if continued.

Hey, I wish I could, but I suck at posting pics on any forum. Not that I haven't, but, with every forum, the procedure seems to be different. Takes me too long. Drives me nuts....Anyone with a control box handy will instantly see what I'm talking about if they open it.

Anyway, I can see that I should reintroduce myself. It's been several years and likely under a different name, heh heh. I'm just a guy who uses these old outboards 50+ days a year, on the ocean, for sport and commercial fishing out of Pacific City Oregon. Google PC dory if interested. A unique fishing community. We launch our flat bottom dories/skiffs off the beach, thru the surf, directly into the ocean. Most of us have updated to the newer type motors. I credit this forum with giving me the information to fish these motors reliably,(more or less)I fish alone usually, often many miles from any other boats. Occasionally, due to rough conditions, I may be the only boat off the beach that day. We often fish offshore 30-50 miles for tuna. sometimes overnight. I've read the majority of the archives concerning my motors, the 56 cu in 70 hp of the late 80's and 90's and the 31 cu in 20-30 hp of the same era, about 79 on. More hours than I care to think about. I do 100% of my own wrenching and take care of two or three older friends. (I'm 68, and vintage outboard mechanics are rare) When I post something on here, It is just an attempt to give back. It will likely never be something common that has been beat to death over the years, but as in this case, just something that I think folks should be aware of. There are still some big holes in my self education, and I have a couple questions coming up soon. Cheers, Joe Evens.

Back