Logo

Armature plate moves violently when motor started

When i pull the motor over the armature plate twists with the flywheel a good 1/4 turn. when the motor is running, it twist back and forth like mad! plug wires are going crazy with it also. Why is this happening? cleaned everything up nice and put it back together the same way i took it apart. It didnt do this before i took it apart.

The 518 sealer is the best stuff to use on motors, have used it for many years.--Coils are hitting the flywheel now, and need adjusting .--------You realy have to determine why it is doing it now and not before.--Seems you have some challenges ahead of you.----Sorry.

(Magneto & Driver Coil Alignment)
(J. Reeves)

To align the coils properly, have the metal vertical portion of the coil yokes aligned with the inside edge of the bevel that exists on the top portion of the aluminum seat upon which the coils sit. This creates the proper distance between the coils and the flywheel magnets. Faulty alignment creats friction and the yokes of the coils heat up, turn blue and expand.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Sounds like the coils are physically contacting the flywheel at some point...remove the flywheel and you should be able to see where the contact is occcuring. If you don't find a problem there, be aware that the 3 screws which hold the coils to the plate are of different lengths. Two are short and one is long. The screw closest to the center (usually phillips head) should be the longest. If either of those center screws is loose, broken, stripped or of the wrong length, the plate will not function properly.

Thanks. It was the coil. Had to loosen just 1 and move it in some. It seems to be working fine now. :) I have been working on this motor like crazy and today I get to dip it in some water and test it after its rebuild. I will let you all know how that works out. Possibly get a video. I did go get a service manual. Thanks again to all of you on here that helped me out with this.

Back