Logo

Are 2012 115hp Etecs reliable powerplants?

Nucad

Regular Contributor
I have a 90 HP Tohatsu on my water logged Edgewater and am looking at a used Boston Whaler Newport with a 115 Etec from 2012. It has a claimed 230 hours. My Tohatsu has been a very reliable motor so far. My local marina does not work on Etec's and claims they are too complicated and have not been reliable. I'd just like an Evinrude expert's opinion on how this 2012 stacks up to Yamaha, Merc, Etc. Thanks in advance.

It is well that they don't work on them. Obviously, they do not know how, don't have proper equipment & information, and otherwise unqualified.

I think these new E-Tec motors are very good.-----But you need good dealer support on these things.-----Parts when needed are pricey.------I would prefer older say 1996 model 115 Evinrude.-----Simpler / uses a bit more fuel / need to know how to operate one etc, etc.-----On an E-TEC you just " push the button and go " and that is just fine for some folks.

True enough. They said that reseting the computer to change props, etc was a $300 charge locally. Also thought that the ultra lean oil ratios needed to meet California emissions was very difficult to engineer, hence the extra sophistication and complexity of the computer systems.
It is well that they don't work on them. Obviously, they do not know how, don't have proper equipment & information, and otherwise unqualified.

Back