Logo

AQ151C Ignition Problem

thostorey

Regular Contributor
Perhaps someone can help me figure this one. An AQ 151C with the electronic ignition conversion and Weber carb conversion.

Not all the time but frequently, when cranking the engine to start, it just cranks and will not catch. Then, when I release the key from the 'crank' position to the ignition ‘on’, position, the engine will frequently start on the last degree or two of engine rotation. I then stopped the engine, turned the ignition key to ‘on’ and jumped the starter solenoid +ve to the ‘key’ terminal and the same thing occurred - it started when I removed the jump. This, I believe, eliminates a problem with the ignition key itself in the cranking circuit as everything else is still in play. I guess my next step is to jump from +ve to the starter wire to bypass the solenoid and see what happens.

It seems that the ignition is being shorted out when the starter is energized via the solenoid but I don’t know where the connection would be. Anyone seen this problem before? Thanks..

Had a very simular problem, I pulled the connecting plug harness at the engine and hard wired it, cured mine 100%, corrosion had lowered the voltage by 1/2.

Further on this for those that know about starter solenoids, when the key is turned to the crank setting and the battery is directly connected to the coil +ve circuit for the extra power required for starting, is the +ve stepped-down voltage through the ballast resistor eliminated from the circuit? See this:

[FONT=&quot]"There are two separate circuits that go from the ignition switch to the coil. One circuit runs through a resistor in order to step down the voltage about 15% in order to protect the points from premature wear. The other circuit sends full battery voltage to the coil. The only time this circuit is used is during cranking. Since the starter draws a considerable amount of current to crank the engine, additional voltage is needed to power the coil. So when the key is turned to the spring-loaded start position, full battery voltage is used. As soon as the engine is running, the driver releases the key to the run position which directs current through the primary resistor to the coil.[/FONT]"

Back