Logo

AQ140A Runs but dies after five minutes

mike_s

"OK..........first time here b

"OK..........first time here but I'm near the end of my rope. I have a 1978 Volvo AQ140A with a 280 leg. It would not start at the beginning of the year so I replaced the points with a Petronix electronic ignition c/w flame thrower coil, new cap, rotor and ignition wire set. I later found out the timing belt jumped so I replaced it and a new pulley tensioner (this was the original problem as it was rusted tight). I also replaced the water circulation pump and raw water pump with a rebuild kit. Many trips to Lordco and Anchorage Marine !!! It turned over and ran a little rough so I timed it to 6 deg BTC and it worked great (in my driveway). I noticed the battery was a little low so I put it on charge overnight. I took it out to the lake today for a trial - started fine ran for five minutes and died. After turning it over several times I noticed the battery was running low very quickly (low enough not to lift the leg). The battery is fairly new and I have not checked my alternator yet. Someone told me to install the Pertronix Ingitor wire to + side of the coil - so i did but I noticed Pertronix suggests installing the Red + wire to the ignition side of the ballast resistor. By bypassing the ballast resistor have I somehow created a short and drained the battery or fried the electronic ignition ? ....any suggestion welcome please !"

"Mike, there is no ballast res

"Mike, there is no ballast resistor in the AQ140; or at least there shouldn't be one if you have a 3 ohm coil (which you probably do). The + of the coil should be wired directly from the ignition switch (12V+). Also, if you are using mid-grade gas, you may want to try 10ºBTDC rather than 6º.

Also, if your alternator is an SEV Marchal (3-wire) there is one wire that goes from the + of the coil to the field coils of the alternator, and that wire has a resistor ant the end. Make sure that wire is connected to the alternator or it won't charge (unless, of curse, someone has replaced the original 3-wire alternator with a single pole alternator).

After you are done, consider taking the time to synchronize the carbs and set the correct idle mixture and idle speed; you will notice a hell of a difference."

"Thanks........yes you are rig

"Thanks........yes you are right, I do have a SEV Marchal (3-wire) alternator. The purple wire from the alternator c/w resistor was the one I thought was a ballast resistor which is connected to the + side of the coil. So it looks like I have the Petronix Electronic Iginition set up right. I still can't understand why it would run fine for five - ten minutes and just die.........not even try and catch."

Looks like the new in-line gla

Looks like the new in-line glass fuel filter I installed was possibly leaking and causing an air lock ? I also re-timed the engine and everything seems to be running just fine........in the driveway that is...........sea trials this weekend !!

Back