Logo

aq131a Electronic Distributor

scortoncreekfisher

Contributing Member
Looking to replace the a second distributor due to stripped cap threads. I thought I would save money and buy used old Bosc distributor , but proved to be bad idea. I think this time I will go new and get the whole electronic kit. Does anybody have any recommendations of what and where to buy? Distributor and conversion kit?

I had put in the "Accuspark" that I got from England (trying save a buck), and I believe i must of toast that from hooking it up wrong because I got no spark! I went online and order a Pertronix kit from autozone because I found a coupon online and only paid $56ish for it , which was a steal!! It ended up getting lost in the mail , so they resent another kit only to have the original show up two weeks later (thank you UPS)! I now have two kits!! LOL. But I am going to have somebody guide me though it next. i will have to post some videos here to get some tips. This project is at least 3 years old now!!! lol However, I was told you can buy whole new electronic distributor sets uo online that has distributor, eltronic spark module and cap.... any Idea? These used distributors have brittle threads I guess. I notice the threads were stripped and I wasn't even taking the cap on or off.

If you install Pertronix you will need a hotter coil that will run on a continuous 12V. I used Flamethrower 11 coils. That was a mistake, they are expensive and they don`t last. I was 45 miles out in the salt chuck when mine quit and good thing I carried the old parts just in case and they saved my but. I had a GM coil in my jet boat for 15 years without a problem before I sold it.

I believe I put in a Lucas DBL 105 Sport Coil.. It's was around $40, not too bad. I am not sure of the volts, but I know it was 3+ ohms , maybe 40,000 volts they claim... Not sure though. Any recommendations would be appreciated

There is a Marine version electronic ignition distributor for this engine. I just did a search, and I cannot find it, but I have seen it before. It was very expensive.

The only other option, is to convert the Bosch OEM ignition distributor to electronic triggerign via the Pertronix (or similar) kit.
These kits are Hall Effect, and a lousy attempt at that, IMOO.
I'd normally try to steer any of us away from this, but unfortunately, this is the only means for electronic triggering without paying the high $$$ for this unit that I can't seem to find right now.

This old distributor no doubt shows some signs of wear by now. Possibly shaft bushing wear, possibly wear to the flyweight system, or perhaps compromised flyweight return springs.

Suggestion:

Take your Bosch unit in to a shop who owns and routinely operates an old Sun or Allen distributor machine.
They can re-bush the upper and lower areas, and they can re-adjust the flyweight system as to bring it back into OEM specs.
You'll need to provide the specs for them. These can be found in your OEM manual.
They also like to have the contacts points in them during the calibration.

The Pertronix kit can be installed afterwards.

Second suggestion:

The pertronix kit will offer a shim that is to adjust the height of the sensor unit. Often the height does not match up correctly with the magnetic unit. An adjustment here will ensure that the two talk to each other correctly.
If you can, talk the shop into doing this, they may have a better means of testing it.

Now you can re-install it, set BASE advance, warm the engine up, and check your total advance.

I'd not set BASE advance only and walk away.

Always check the progressive and TA.

Back