Logo

AQ131 connection pipe help

mtmrayz

20110416190703.jpgThe copper pipe coming out of the back of my heat exchanger has pulled out of the connection pipe. I can see that the o rings are very old and cracked.

What I cannot find is any instructions on how these two pieces are put together and how the various sealing rings and o rings go on. Can anybody point me to a set of diagrams and instructions?

Thanks

I believe this is the diagraqm for your arrangement but you'll need to make sure: View attachment HEAT%20EXCHANGER%20AND%20WATER%20FILTER0.pdf

It appears that the copper pipe fits into the socket on the plastic suction fitting and has a square cut o-ring seal. That type of arrangement is used on other pipe connections as well. You need to use some care when re-bending the pipe to make it fit correctly to be square and also fit deep enough into the socket. If you need to remove the pipe to bend it properly, replace the seal at the other connection as well. The rubber seals are different for different types of connections. Just take your time - especially if trying to bend a metal pipe that is connected to a plastic fitting!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. So this might just stick up in the plastic connection pipe with the seal being created by the rigidity of the copper pipe and the bracket holding it in place? I will give it a shot. Just have to order a new seal ring and o rings and a new gasket for the other end. When I take the copper pipe off I am going to try to flush the manifold out with a garden hose. That ought to be a nice mess.

If You have any other ideas how to clear scale and rust out of it I would love to hear them.

Thanks for the post. So this might just stick up in the plastic connection pipe with the seal being created by the rigidity of the copper pipe and the bracket holding it in place?
Yes - that is correct. Quite simple arrangement really - as long as the pipes don't get bent out of shape.

I haven't tried it, but have heard that CLR can help dissolve the minerals deposits. It makes sense, that's what it's designed to do. Come to think of it, demineralized water is a pretty good solvent for minerals.

I've found it's easier to loosen the black plastic connector,install the new seals and then put it back on the engine.
Make sure the contact points are spotless!!!
If your motor's been in salt water,take care when undoing any screws.WD-40 or PB-blaster a couple of days before the removal and tap on the screw head and spray,repeat.
Unfortunatly the gunk in the heat exchanger has probably formed a solid chunk.Soaking it in muratic acid for a few minutes, or CLR. Be carefull with either as the thin brass will disolve in both.Good luck.J

For anyone interested, I took off the copper pipe and worked at sliding it into the plastic connector from a couple different angles. It would slide in very deeply with the standard volvo rubber seal, but not from the correct position for installation. The PO had used a much wider seal and a couple of "o" rings to fix a leak, apparently. After getting the angle figured out, I took the pipe to my bench vise and gave it a couple slight bends to get the correct angle. Very dangerous, but it worked and the pipe with standard seal slid in snugly and is not leaking at all.

Back