Logo

AQ125B sudden loss of rpm

  • Thread starter Ernest Woodruff
  • Start date
E

Ernest Woodruff

Guest
"My AQ125B has become increasi

"My AQ125B has become increasingly difficult to keep running after starting. Replaced points, condenser, rotor, and fuel pump. During the first 15 minutes of cruising the engine will periodically lose 1,000 rpm and then regain it. After cruising 15 minutes or so, the engine runs normally at idle speed and cruising speed.

Any suggestions?
EW"
 
"First thing I would do is to

"First thing I would do is to get rid of the points and condenser, and install a Pertronix kit (the Pertronix part number for your Bosch JF4 distributor is 2842). This may not cure the problem, but will save you lots of headaches in the future.

Things you may want to look for (and not necessarily in this order):

1) Condition of the ignition coil and contacts.

2) Condition of the ignition wires.

3) How are the spark plugs? Clean, right gap?

4) What is the condition of your fuel?

5) Condition of your ignition (key) switch and associated wiring (remember, it feeds the distributor). To eliminate the possibility of a defective key switch or defective wiring, try to hot wire the + of the ignition coil from the + of the battery next time the problem reoccurs.

6) What grade of oil are you using? Is it too cold when you cannot reach full speed? What about the thermostat?

7) Have you cleaned recently your carburetor bowl and jets? How is the float adjustments? Are the needles clean?

8) How is the engine's compression?

9) Any air leaks through the intake manifold gasket or carburetor gasket?


Good luck."
 
I would check out two items:

I would check out two items:
1:Dismantle and clean out your carburators.
2:Take off the exhaust manifold and check for corrosion in the exhaust ports. Your manifold may be 'gone' leaking water into one cylinder. When engine is solidly heated up the last cylinder starts working again (plug is dried up).
 
"Hello again,

I am still ha


"Hello again,

I am still having problems with the AQ125b engine. I can barely keep it running once it is started by pumping the throttle. We have
1. checked all wires for continuity
2. checked compression and it is up to specification on all cylinders.
3. checked the carb bowl and cleaned it.
4. checked for leaks around the intake manifold.

So far the engine runs worse that it did before I began working on the carburetor. I do not have a service manual. Are the idle and main jets cleaned by just removing them and spraying carb cleaner on them? As you can tell this is my first time to attempt a caruretor repair.

Many thanks,
Ernest Woodruff"
 
Back
Top