Logo

AQ125 Runs then stops suddenly

jamie392

Contributing Member
"You may have seen a few posts

"You may have seen a few posts I made. here is an update now. I changed over to points and condenser well i wait for my new ignition, it starts right up with the points in, but dies suddenly after a few seconds. It won't run under 2000RPM. I adjusted the points correctly, I cleaned out the carb.

Before all this the engine ran fine at idle, the the electronic ignition kicked the bucket and I had no spark, now I have spark but can't run low RPM anymore. Do you think I have a new problem, or is this just a problem with the points not generating as much power. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get this boat back mint for the season
"

"Any suggestions would be grea

"Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I got my new pertronix today and installed it, same thing, starts, runs for 5 seconds high rpm and dies suddenly. I had it running good like a week ago.

I tried to clean out everything from the carb, I ran a =wire to the coil to the battery and that didn't change anything. I'm quite confused and running out of time as always :S

I think I am going to go get a can of good gas and test it that way to make sure my gas isn't bad. Other than that I'm not sure what else could cause this.

The dist, rotor, wires, plugs electronic igntion are all good.

The timing seems fine, but I can't check it really cause it won't run long enough and at idle speed. Nothing has really changed since last season, my electronic ignition died and then I fixed it and now I have this problem???"

"Here is an update: I have som

"Here is an update: I have some white smoke when it does run, but it didn't have that the last time I ran it, and the engine has lots of antifreeze in it so i wouldn't image it has freeze damage.

I ran a compression test anyways and I get the following readings

Cyl 1: 180
Cyl 2: 170-175
Cyl 3: 170-175
Cyl 4: 175

I don't image that this leads to a damaged head gasket? Also, if there was water getting in some other way would that really stop it from running below 2k RPM? I hooked it up to a gas can and ran it at 3k RPM for 5 minutes and it didn't seem to get better, unless there was still bad gas in the lines and it hadn't sucked new gas yet.

I'm really baffled as to why my engine will no longer run, clearly I am overlooking something!! It ran perfectly fine a few days ago before the pertronix went bad, then I lost spark, replaced pertronix, got back spark, and now it won't idle, just dies suddenly like after a few seconds of running someone pulls the plug, but if i give it gas it will catch and continue at high RPM smoothly."

"First, try to run the engine

"First, try to run the engine at high idle (up to 2000 RPM) until the coolant is warm, then lower the RPM. If is still dies, try setting the idle mixture in the carb."

"I was able to run it at 3000

"I was able to run it at 3000 RPM for awhile, 5 minutes or so, but it still wouldn't idle. I pulled the idle jet and blew it out, it looked like the hole was plugged, but it might have just been gas, i hope it was plugged. Anyways I haven't had a chance to try it since then. I think, cross fingers, that tomorrow it will run.

If not, I will pull valve cover, and re-check that the timing belt is correct (I have no mark on my valve cover so I need to measure the valves opening closing on cyl 1). Then I will re-align the rotor to point at roughly number 1 at TDC, and I will turn out the idle screw some more.

Hopefully this will get me ballpark range and then I can tune it after it at least runs. These motors seem simple but they really like to kick my ass. I was hoping I could find a vacuum leak because they symptoms im having seem like one, but I can't find on, nor does there seem like a place that these engines could have one. I went ahead and re-sealed the carb to intake gasket, so that should ensure no leaks."

"Back in business, started rig

"Back in business, started right up and ran great. I blew out the idle jet, it didnt really look plugged at all but after that its running good again.

Thanks!"

Back