Logo

AQ120/270 - No raw water intake

DKaiser

Contributing Member
he AQ120B/270

Recently reset timing belt due to jumped tooth.
Installed new impeller, key, seal.
Boat ran fine yesterday on muffs.

Today, on muffs, no water being drawn up through drive. None.

Intake passages are clear, they flush fully into raw water pump, and down and out through drive. Impeller is moving, verified. Last summer, I replaced bellows, PDS bearing, water neck, gasket, and hose (with new clamps). Gasket was installed ringside down. I sent the intermediate housing to Gary and he went through the upper gear.

I recently replaced the impeller because the previous one froze and became torn when started. I found a piece of the impeller in the strainer, but just one (there were some other small pieces not found).

I have read about the infamous plastic bushing (Diagram Part #11, below the water neck). My local Volvo Penta mechanic also told me that the water pipe, seals, and bearings go bad inside and the water pipe is about $700(!). Upon his recommendation, I removed the nipple at the base of the fork and installed a barbed nipple attached to a hose and put the other

Update -

I removed both cooling systems and flushed everything. In the process, I found a single washer in my bilge. My heat exchanger is shimmed with two washers at lower left fastener, see below. (That's how it came to me; it doesn't sit flush without). One washer width was enough to cause enough of an air leak to completely shut down the water intake.

Kim, thanks for replying.

p.s. Kim, I tried to report the e-Bay seller, but e-Bay doesn't make it too easy. Hopefully that ass will be shut down. Amazing someone would post that...

s-l225.jpg

Other than he's selling junk, what's wrong with the listing? Pictures are clear, and offer a clear definition of the seller's idea of 'a little corrosion.' Anyone who wouldn't know what he was buying probably should stick with new parts. If he can find it. Just sayin ...

walter.jpg

Last edited:
Other than he's selling junk, what's wrong with the listing? Pictures are clear, and offer a clear definition of the seller's idea of 'a little corrosion.' Anyone who wouldn't know what he was buying probably should stick with new parts. If he can find it. Just sayin ...

The guy is a crook plain and simple you put lipstick on a pig you still have a pig.

Had you bought it, would you have received anything other than what you thought you were buying? I'm not putting lipstick on anything, it's not against the rules to sell junk if there is no deception involved. Just sayin ...

lipstick-on-a-pig (Small).jpg

Back