Logo

Aq 260 hard starting

zapper1

I have an AQ 260 engine with the ROCHESTER 4 barrell carb.
After sitting about a weeks time I have difficulty starting
I normally give it a couple a shots on the throtle and leave it just under
1/4 throtle. It takes about 5 or 6 turns before she fires up.
I always keep it tuned up there are no points, the choke seems to be working OK. Is this normal, does the gas from the float bowl
eventuallydrain out?
Thanks in Advance
Cheers

The gas that is in the bowl is probably evaporating. Gass has a low boiling point and evaporates quicker than other fluids. I have this same issue on my aq260. I usually pump the throttle five times and leave about 1/4 in throttle while starting. she usually starts up on the first time

The Q-jets have some manufacturing machining ports that are closed with epoxy. If the epoxy is failing, they tend to dry up rather quickly, hence the extended cranking that you must do in order to start the engine!
This tends to shortens starter motor life and is not too good on batteries and alternators either (in the long term sense of the problem, that is).

If the carburetor is working well, other than that issue, see if a carburetor repair shop can look at this for you.

And yes, these do tend to evaporate fuel in four weeks or so anyway, depending on your climate.
I have a special primer bottle for my Q-jets if it has been sitting for a while. The nature of the Q!

re: "The nature of the Q!"
And most other carbs as well. I've installed a pushbutton switch at the helm that allows my electric fuel pump to run without cranking the engine to refill the bowl.

Thank you all for your quick responce and input.
I guess this is something that I'm going to live with
even though I don't like it. Like you said Rick
it puts extra stress on the starter.
Cheers.

hi, I also have a aq 260 with the same carb'. my secret after its sat for weeks is pump throttle 3 times then turn engine over for 3 or 4 revs. stop. pump 2 more times and it flashes right up. give it a try. Cam

I have the same problem with my AQ260. I have to pump the throttle a few times then it starts OK.
One idea I have is would it be OK to use a fuel hose that you use for an outboard engine with the hand primer bulb on it. would that pump fuel past the mechanical fuel pump to prime the carb, and thus make starting easier
I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this idea.
Cheers

This is illegal as per Coast Guard regulations. Both the fuel hose and delivery pipe have to be fireproof, and a priming bulb is not.

Zapper, You might check tha acc pump diapham/leather as we used to call it. Back when Calif. started putting the alcohol in the fuel, tells you how long I've been doing this now, it world shrink the rubber plunger diapham and it would tangle with the spring and would cause all sorts of starting problems. Cold engines need lot's of fuel and the acc pump on the Qjet is where that fuel comes from.

Thanks Gary,
but I rebuilt the carb this past winter and every thing looked OK inside.
It was hard starting before I did the rebuild.
Cheers All.

Back