Logo

Antifreeze in the cylinders

LeisurLee

For the past two seasons I have been using antifreeze (about a quart) after running the boat for several hours. Generaly and idle to 3000rpms (twin 454's). I will see white smoke and the sweet smell of antifreeze for a short period of time at cold startup. I have also found antifreeze in the cylinders after winter storage. I have replaced the exhaust manifolds, have replaced the shutoff plate and gaskets multiple times. Have tore down the engine and replaced the head gaskets, which looked fine, no obvious blow outs. Had the heads magnafluxed for cracks. It is still using antifreeze and smoking. By the way the oil looks fine, not milky or the level isnt rising. I just did another compression test, all plugs removed and throttle set wide open, coil grounded. All cylinders 145 to 150 psi after 5 revolutions. Could it be the intake manifold or intake gaskets. Any help would be appreciated.

It could be, but I suspect a sneaky crack somewhere.

I had a Chrysler Conquest (Mitsu engine) that had a cracked head. I used the silvery sealer NAPA sells and drove it--without problems--for years. You might want to try it. It comes in a tube and resembles aluminum powder.

Jeff

try a pressure tester on the coolant side. may want to remove the spark plugs from the cylinders that have had coolant in them during previous inspections.

Back