Logo

Another weird warning system problem

wargle

I have a 94, 90 hp Mercury outboard. I have found that the oil level warning sensor is missing from the tank. My warning horn never made a sound. I tested it and it works. I relocated it from the control housing to under the dash to be able to hear it bertter. Started getting a short solid beep when the key was turned on to test the temp. circuit, but nothing else. Now, all of a sudden, I get the short beep with key on and a constant beep, beep, beep with the motor running. the beeps increase in frequency as the rpm's increase till it becomes a steady beep at about 3000 rpm. Above 3000 rpm the beeps stop. Oil tank is over 3/4 full, water is peeing out nicely, motor runs good. Oil sensor wires with bullet connectors from module are just there under the tank not connected to anything. Could this cause the beep, beep, beep? Since I don't have the oil sensor, should I connect the sensor leads together? Would that stop the beeps?

should I connect the sensor leads together?
No, that turns on the alarm. Are the ends of the wires to the missing switch taped...one may be grounding thus turning on the alarm. Disconnect the temp overheat switch and see if it stops. If it continues then there may be a wiring problem. Is it running hot? When did you last change the impeller? Have you ever changed the T'stat and poppit valve?

Last edited:
I've had the boat for 4 years and have not replaced anything related to the cooling system, just plugs and a rectifier. If the pee hole is pumping out strong wouldn't that be an indication that the water pump is circulating water ok? I'm not familar with the poppit valve what does it do and where is it located? I'll check the oil sensor wiring tomorrow and the temp switch.

Even w/a pee stream, after 4 years it is time for an impeller replacement...Merc. says every 3 yrs. You don't want the impeller to come apart. Besides, do you know when it was last replaced by the previous owner? If it was my boat I would replace the impeller, thermostat and poppit valve which is located under the thermostat housing cover next to the thermostat. If you are mechanically inclined you can do the work...go to YOUTUBE and search for "Mercury outboard thermostat and poppit valve replacement" and "Mercury outboard impeller replacement". The parts are about $100 for Mercury parts...stay away from Sierra brand junk.

Back