Logo

another Water in oil question 1998 4.3 vortec 4bbl

blando

Long story short, i have water in oil that comes in fast( 2 qt in 10 min).

i was doing a coolant pressure test, First one after an oil change hoping water in oil was a fluke, and forgot to empty water out. When i pressurized the system water came gushing into intake to starboard side intake ports.
Then when i emptied the water it just hissed at me.

Im pretty sure the manifold is shot but if anyone can explain another reason for the water shooting out with air pressure to where it doesnt belong??

Im confused because there wasnt any water in the cylinders prior to this, so if intake manifold was the issue why were cylinders dry ( water was in sump not in cylinders originally).

is there a reason other than rusted out intake manifold that the water would have blown into dry part of the intake under pressure 15 psi. Unless i blew out ( already compromised ) Manifold. But still, dry cylinder before this????

I guess the intake manifold wasnt the problem but is now.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

When i pressurized the system water came gushing into intake to starboard side intake ports.
Then when i emptied the water it just hissed at me.

The 15 psi was enough to blow the hole wide open. It probably is on the starboard side of the intake. If you have a fiberoptic camera, start looking around before you pull the intake.

The 15 psi was enough to blow the hole wide open. It probably is on the starboard side of the intake. If you have a fiberoptic camera, start looking around before you pull the intake.
Already pulled it And Looked with my fiber optic camera and didn't see a hole but will look closer.

Pressure tested on bench and let acetone sit over night. No signs of leak. I'm beyond confused.

can anyone think of how the water could have shot out of a fuel port bec clearly the water channels are solid.

UPDATE

Intake valves on 2 and 4 are tuliped(this explains the strange water shooting out of manifold. What i thought was water from the ex port (during pressure test when i forgot to empty water from block) but was more likely from the intake ports 2&4.

Exhaust manifolds are cracked as well.

-New risers and manifolds
-Valve job
-magniflux and pressure test heads
-Timing has been adjusted appropriately.
-New gaskets etc.

Back