Logo

Another problem My wife is gonna bury me in this boat

gone_postal

Regular Contributor
"For a rebuilt motor, I sure d

"For a rebuilt motor, I sure do have a lot of issues. At the rate I'm going, every single part on this motor will be replaced in the next 2-3 months. So far, the reg/rec, starter, plugs, wires, fuel/vro pump & tach are new. I have a new stator in garage I'm putting in tonight (tach still isn't working). I also swapped the optical sensor w/ another used one b/c I couldn't get the timing tool to work w/ my original, so I assumed it too was going bad (worked w/ the spare).

Anyway, we cruised for 5 miles or so w/ no issue and stopped to swim. On the way back, about 3.5 miles into it, it started to stumble. I'd be doing 30mph and it'd drop to 27, surge back up, etc. If I kept in it, it would do it faster and speed would just start falling off - it wasn't regaining power. I slowed to an idle and it sounded just fine. We were trying to get back to the ramp, so I got on plane again and after .5 mile or so, same thing. We played this game till the ramp. Now it seems like a fuel issue, but I might be wrong. I'm just guessing that b/c it did something very similar to this (but not as extreme) several months ago and the fuel/vro pump was tested as bad. I put a brand new one in at that time and replaced oil lines & tank too (so vro is completely new).

Last month it stranded me while vacationing in the keys - wouldn't start when we decided to head in. I took it out when I got home and it did this same stumbling problem. Consensus was stator, so I replaced it w/ a spare I had and have taken it out several times since then and it's been problem free. I just happened to buy a new stator last week b/c I couldn't pass up the deal and then it goes and does this crap today. Could this really be from stator? Only other electrical that isn't new is power pack & coils. Could my fuel/vro be failing after only 3 months??"

"Nobody wants to help you, c&#

"Nobody wants to help you, c'mon guys......help this poor man, he's probably already on his fourth wife. Any single women out there doing marine repair?"

"Double check all your connect

"Double check all your connections, looks like some came loose typical during a major repairs."

Back