Logo

Another "No Oil" problem

Saugerguy

Here we go.
I've gone through about every no oil alarm thread I could find on this forum - my problem seems to be a weird one. 1993 Evinrude Intruder Spitfire Series 150. Model VE150GLETG, serial G03238408.
The problems started when the rectifyer/regulator burned. Actually burned off two of the three wires & melted the resin that seals the regulator. Replaced the regulator, tested the battery & test ran the motor on the trailor. Was showing 12.5 volts at the battery without running the engine, 14.5 volts at 1500 rpm. Had a load test done on the battery, all checked out good. Other than the usual one beep when starting the engine, I didn't notice any other alarm. Headed out for a tournament, launced the boat & noticed that the "NO OIL" alarm (one beep per second) was sounding. Checked the oil tank - full. Squeezed the oil tank bulb, the bulb was firm & squeezing it didn't shut off the alarm. Had blue oil exhaust & temp gauge was reading normal so I suspected that we were getting oil, but switched over to my kicker tank (mixed) just to make sure. Started working on the motor after getting home. The VRO pump seemed to be working, but I had an OMC mechanic tell me that it was possible that the regulator shorting may have taken out the "brain" on the VRO pump resulting in the alarm going off & that I should replace the pump assembly. I put a new one in, along with the new pulse limiter for about $400. Funny, the alarm was still sounding. At the request of the mechanic, I ran the motor with the premix & alternately unplugged the three tan wires controlling the oil alarm. Unplugging the tan wire right below the starter solenoid shut the alarm off. If I have traced that wire correctly, it appears to go into the harness plug that connects to the port side connector at the top of the power pack. Now, the mechanic says I should put in a new power pack. Not a problem, but what if the new power pack doesn't shut off the alarm? I am having a problem hearing or feeling any "clicking" noises from the VRO pump, but it does seems to be pumping oil.

Any & all help would be appreciated, this has been going on since July.

Hint... long paragraphs are somewhat difficult to read. It all flows together.

Check the electrical pins and sockets within those rubber connectors. The pins/sockets have a habit of being pushed back slightly which results in poor connections, false readings, intermittent weird happenings.

(Odd Soundings Of Warning Horn)
(J. Reeves)

Should the warning horn beep constantly when the key is turned to the ON position rather than sounding just a short beep as it should, do the following test.

Remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the constant beeping continues, the horn is faulty, in which case replace it. However, on the other hand, if the beeping stops, something has gone wrong with one of the sensor components at the engine, in which case start disconnecting the TAN wires that are connected to the various components (Heat Sensors, VRO, Vacuum Switch if so equipped, Oil Tank). Disconnecting a unit and having the beeping stop...... you've found the faulty component.

NOTE: The small black plastic horn that has a built in black ground wire...... The TAN wire must be attached to the terminal closest to that black wire. Otherwise weird things will happen.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.
--------------------------------------
Possibly there is "air" in the oil line.

(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.

Make sure that the oil line is not leaking anywhere as that would also cause it to draw air at the same time... and that the line is not kinked anywhere.

I'm wondering if I have the same problem.. the regulator in my 92 200XP is bad, the motor is charging at 16 + volts, and my VRO alarm is going off??

I've ran about 15 gallons of premix through it.. I'll check the oil tank tomorrow, but I do know the level is down, I marked the tank. Sorry for the hijack Sauger, maybe we can both find out what's going on with the VRO alarms.

The VRO has been working...it took about 1 1/2 qts to refill the tank after running 15 gallons of premix. And, I replaced the regulator today, and the alarm isn't going off anymore. It's charging at 14 volts, and the tach is working. Alls good with my ride.

Back