Logo

Alternative gear case oil

rasmuss

I have a johnson 40hp between 89-93. Th service manual say I should use a OMC oil which is hard to get in Sweden. Do you think I will be alright with a oil named EP SAE-90? its a marine gear case oil with anti foam and all that. Im preparing the boat for storage during the winter, expecting at the lowest 5 F.

Those gearcases are not known to be robust design.-----Use the best oil you can find.------Repairs will be expensive !!

Ok.. As a amature how do I find the best oil that still works with the gear case? I susspect there are very good oils that is not suitable for the case

I don't live in Sweden, but if I did, I would be comfortable with the oil you suggested. No oil is going to cure any possible design problems.

Sweden has excellent products. The oil you have available may exceed any specs recommended by OMC. Keep it clean, keep it fresh, you will be fine. I have the same motor here in my shop. Parted it out, the lower unit outlasted the powerhead.

OMC called it Hi-Vis for high viscosity. It is made for using in the lower unit where it could mix with some salt water. Regular automotive gearcase oil is not made for that environment. Get any brand of marine high viscosity oil from Pennzoil, Sierra, Mercury, Yamaha...….. (Google - outboard high viscosity gearcase lube)

Last edited:
Back