Logo

Alpha 1 gen 2 loosing fluid 2004 3.0

gizmolvr

Contributing Member
I have a 2004 3.0 mercruiser with an Alpha 1 gen2. I have top off the remote lower unit fill after every few days of running the boat .Pulled the outdrive and dont see any obvious leaks. Changed the lower unit fluid and there is no signs of water or damage. Any ideas of where else to look? thanks

Re: Alpha 1 gen 2 loosing fluid

The shift shaft bushing. Everytime you shift it wears the bushing.

Every 2 years when you change the impeller the bushing should be changed also.

The alpha I gen II does NOT need the impeller changed every two years..............But the shift shaft oil seal could be a leaker.

You need to drain the outdrive, pinch the rubber hose going to the resevoir with a rag and vise grips. (not to tight but enough to not allow fluid or air thru the line and not enough to damage the rubber hose)

You can remove the outdrive to pressure check and then you do not need to pinch the rubber hose

Then pressure check out drive. If you do not have the test equipment either get it or make it or have a marine tech do it for you. The normal test pressure is ~ 15 psi and it should hold for 2 minutes with no leaks...

Just because water is not getting in does not mean gear oil is leaking getting out........

Here is a link to the pressure checker and vacuum checker I have and use and most marina's would have.

You can make your own from a bycicle pump and guage. the threaded hole in the outdrive is 3/8 -16 thread.

http://www.stevensinstrument.com/gearcase.htm

Ayuh,... Need tools at that link,...
I'm sorta surprised they haven't come up with a single pump for pressure, 'n vacuum testing....

I made a lube filler from a dumpster found 1gal. pumptank...
Use a 1/4" ball-valve, 'n old drive fitting from a store bought pump for qt.s...

Those tools cast me $39.00 each when I purchased them....... they have almost doubled in 20 years.....

I did the same as you for gear oil, I purchased a 5 gallon bucket lid hand pump for $15.00 that fits to a 5 gallon bucket, added a adapter from a merc pump that threads into the drive.....works like a charm ....

used a old weed wacker gas tank, added a metal tire valve to add air, and a 3 foot hose and old fitting.

Fill up the tank with gear lube screw in the fitting to the lower plug hole and hit it with compressed air about 2 psi in goes the gear oil fast like. I make sure i crack the cap before the lube is gone in the tank.

Add a more oil more air till the drive is full.

For the tester i just used a old gauge off a compressor, in one hole, and made up a tire valve and a old fitting for the other hole.

When the drive is holding air, wiggle the shift shaft, and if air escapes you know you found the problem. Or you could pressure test it with oil in it. You will see where the oil comes out.

One other thing if new washers were not used when the oil was changed that could be the problem.

Now if you have it all apart to change the bushing wouldn't it make sense to go ahead and change out the impeller ??????

The bushing is included in alot of impeller kits.

Thanks for the replies. I did change the impeller last year but dont think i did the shift bushing. Will take it apart and pressure test and post results . Thanks for the help

Just uncovered boat today. Checked the outdrive fluid resovoir and nothing has leaked out since being winterized last year.

Back