Logo

Aligning the Armature Plate To The Crankshaft?

Putting her back together after a complete teardown and rebuild. 1959 Johnson 3 hp JW-15 classic. Paid $35.00 for the old dusty girl. I'm not 100% sure after replacing coils, points and condensers, along with new sparkplug wires, if, and/or how I need to align the Armeture plate before screwing it down. The long screw on each condenser act like they're "missing the target" and won't tighten down 100%. Any suggestions?
 
???---Long screws on each condenser?--Or did you mean on the coils ?-----The 4 screws that hold the magplate in place are easy to line up.----Flat side of the retainer ring faces up.
 
Racerone, my apologies for not responding sooner. Yes, I did mean coils, not condensors. I guess my real question is concerning what stops the retainer ring from moving? Once I align and screw in the one long coil screw along with the shorter one (×2) the entire retainer and armature still rotates. What am I doing wrong?
 
Oh, wait! Wait! Flat side up, you said. I'm trying that now because I had it flipped. Hold on. Yep. I had it all bass ackwards. Also had the short and long screws in the wrong slots. Makes a difference, for sure. Thank you. I try not to be stupid but sometimes reality prevails. On to the next step. Thank you again!
 
Oh, wait! Wait! Flat side up, you said. I'm trying that now because I had it flipped. Hold on. Yep. I had it all bass ackwards. Also had the short and long screws in the wrong slots. Makes a difference, for sure. Thank you. I try not to be stupid but sometimes reality prevails. On to the next step. Thank you again!
 
Back
Top