Logo

Alarm sounds constantly, how to turn off? 1996 Mercury 115 2 stroke

rudim_86

Hello,

I have a 1996 115 2 stroke with a high pitched alarm sounding the entire time my key is turned in the ignition. This is an annoying sound; I suspected it may have been the low oil sensor malfunctioning so I disconnected the wires to see if the alarm would shut off but it didn't. So I'm not sure what I should do, is this my low oil sensor malfunctioning or is this the alarm module in my throttle assembly? Someone must have had this problem before.

Thanks.

I don't know what the warning module is..never heard of such. Alarm sounds because the low side of the horn is grounded. Causes for grounding are oil level as you disconnected, over temp from the over temp sensor on the rear of the block water jacket cover (spark plugs stick through this cover), or short in the wiring from the horn (located at the operator's station) back through the wiring harness somewhere where chafing rubbed the insulation off the Tan wire and it is grounding out.

14857A16, had both of mine go bad on my 1995 115's need serial number to be sure. They do exist. Hot horn/ oil warning horn will continuously sound if the module is bad.

14857A16, had both of mine go bad on my 1995 115's need serial number to be sure. They do exist. Hot horn/ oil warning horn will continuously sound if the module is bad.

I guess you ought to know. Looked it up on the www and WOW $122. Pulled out my 2015 revised serv. man. for 1994 thru the end and looking at the pre 1998 wiring diagram is shows it. I rolled over to the wiring diagram for the 1998 and later and its no longer used.....that's why I never saw such since my 3 and 4 cyl. engines were/are 2002 models. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I guess you ought to know. Looked it up on the www and WOW $122. Pulled out my 2015 revised serv. man. for 1994 thru the end and looking at the pre 1998 wiring diagram is shows it. I rolled over to the wiring diagram for the 1998 and later and its no longer used.....that's why I never saw such since my 3 and 4 cyl. engines were/are 2002 models. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries...Mine also came with black stators and rev limiters that all failed under warranty. To say the least, I was not happy with them when they were new but that's all been straightened out for the last 20 years so no complaints other than the 2+2 quirkyness, they run fine.

No worries...Mine also came with black stators and rev limiters that all failed under warranty. To say the least, I was not happy with them when they were new but that's all been straightened out for the last 20 years so no complaints other than the 2+2 quirkyness, they run fine.

The main thing about the "quirkiness" is the fact that there is an accelerator pump that is a pump and its purpose is to immediately energize 3 and 4.....if you treat it as a pump that "squirts". If you firewall the throttle to come "out of the hole" the throttle lever cam depresses the stem of the pump in rapid fashion causing a good burst of fuel to 3 and 4 and positive results. Once on plane cut the throttle back to the desired speed and there is no quirkiness. Other thing is the spacing of the cam and stem, set by the position of the pump...has sloppy mounting holes, has to be set correctly...detailed in the service manual. After having acquired my engine a couple of years ago I am extremely happy with it...after I learned how it was designed to work and treated it accordingly.

I have a factory service manual and the accelerator pump stem height gaps are set correctly. Most of my quirkyness is on deceleration on my port engine coming back down towards idle from planing speed, she gets a little chuggy in the transition back to two cylinders but it only lasts 10 seconds or so before it settles down. Since you are a fellow 2+2 owner, I'll let you in a tidbit about those pumps which are now NLA but are serviceable. Several years ago, I had a failed accelerator pump diaphragm but no replacement was offered. When I took it apart, I recognized the diaphragm and went to my parts bin and it is exactly the same as the primer diaphragm the 8, 9.9 and 15's 2 strokes used in the late 90's -early 2000's maybe more applications. It was a direct replacement and worked perfectly should you ever need one and they are still offered.

I have a factory service manual and the accelerator pump stem height gaps are set correctly. Most of my quirkyness is on deceleration on my port engine coming back down towards idle from planing speed, she gets a little chuggy in the transition back to two cylinders but it only lasts 10 seconds or so before it settles down. Since you are a fellow 2+2 owner, I'll let you in a tidbit about those pumps which are now NLA but are serviceable. Several years ago, I had a failed accelerator pump diaphragm but no replacement was offered. When I took it apart, I recognized the diaphragm and went to my parts bin and it is exactly the same as the primer diaphragm the 8, 9.9 and 15's 2 strokes used in the late 90's -early 2000's maybe more applications. It was a direct replacement and worked perfectly should you ever need one and they are still offered.
Well thank you for that sir. On the spacing dimension, .030 I think from memory is the manual setting. I set mine at around .020, recalling to get a harder squirt, faster in the cam movement cycle. Seems to work to suit me.

Interesting that you had the initiative and resources to find a replacement where you found it doing what it normally did. Good detective work Dick Tracy (of Comic Book origin)....Grin On Dick Tracy, back in the 1950's if the author of that series only knew then what is available in "wrist radios" today....he did have some forethought however.

Back