Logo

Aftermarket parts question

M

Mark Lewis

"I'm learning alot from su

"I'm learning alot from surfing this discussion forum it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! Anyhoo, I have a AQ125A/270 and am kinda at the mercy of the local VP dealer on parts,so school me on how to get part #,s to use as cross reference for say the sierra parts website. I have the SELOC manual for VP but no VP part #,s for things like head, exhaust, intake manifold gaskets and those square shouldered O rings for in and around the heat exchanger etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated!"

I failed to mention I went to

I failed to mention I went to that doug russel marine site and the AQ125A isnt one of the choices under the VOLVO section of the site...What gives? Again school me a little(or alot) please! Thanks

"Here is the link to the VP si

"Here is the link to the VP site for the AQ125A parts:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/AQ125A/dm/cart_id.657400424--category_id.342835-- search_type.category--session_id.654876361--store_id.366--view_id.342835

Then, either on this site (click on the "Engine Parts" icon) you can go to Volvo Penta parts and see which aftermarket parts are available, which are not as many as you may think. The parts you get from the Sierra catalog are usually alternators, starters, carburetor kits, distributor overhaul kits, gaskets, and so on. Click on the link, then click on "Volvo Penta", then you can find ont he middle of the screen the most common tune-up parts, and at the left of the screen if you click on the "Volvo Penta" + sign you will see the parts available for cooling, drive, etc. In addition, many automotive parts (pistons, piston rings, head gaskets, main and rod bearings, etc) for the B21 Volvo engine will fit your AQ125A. I have made quite a comprehensive list for the 4 bangers, but I cannot guarantee its accuracy. What I normally try to do is to answer a post like yours and if I know of an automotive part that fits a certain engine than I try to post a part number and a link to a site that advertises it; then you can either get it from that site or serach for it in other sites and try to get the best deal (doesn't matter to me from where you get it, I don't get any commission from anyone
biggrin.gif
).

Good luck."

El...you're the bomb! I ma

El...you're the bomb! I managed to find all the little knick knack and bric a brac parts I was looking for. Except for the head gasket...Did I read you right in saying that I can go to the auto parts store for the head gasket? Also the exploded drawings I saw for the AQ125A intake manifold looked nothing like mine...probably because the previous owner adapted a 2 barrel carb onto this engine via a piece of aluminum machined to neck down to a 1 barrel orifice on what looks to be in a downdraft configuration so I'm guessing it's not the original intake...so could a guy with a good exacto knife and a gasket punch set just copy the original gasket (or at least the gasket that was last on it)?

I hate to be ignorant...but I&

I hate to be ignorant...but I'm learning...next question. What about the exhaust manifold gaskets? Apples to apples or not really? (as far as vehicle vs. marine)And as to my previous post the head configuration is gonna be the same regardless of what the intake manifold looks like after it leaves the head...yay or nay?...meaning automotive intake gasket ok or not ok? and if so...auto part websites ask for car year and model etc etc so if you are buying auto parts for your hole in the water how do you elaborate on that sort of stuff? AAGGHHHH I think I might just get some nice oars!

"Here is a link to head gasket

"Here is a link to head gaskets and gasket sets for the 2.1L Volvo 4 cyl OHC engine (B21 block) 1976-84, which should fit your AQ125A.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=11881+1733+4294966720+9285

The exhaust gaskets in the above kits should be fine (there is one gasket per cylinder), but sometimes finding the right gasket for the intake can be tricky, as there are several possible configurations. In the above link, it seems to me that the "Reinz Cylinder Head Gasket" set has a "universal" intake manifold gasket, but not the Felpro kit (have a close look at the two extra holes in the Reinz intake gasket versus Felpro, you may want to check if your engine's intake/head has one of those holes). In any case, you can use the above gasket/set numbers as a reference at your local autoparts store.

Regarding making your own intake gaskets, you certainly can. It takes having the right gasket material and a small ball pein hammer to make them (if you have never done it, just google <font color=""ff0000"">"make gaskets" + hammer</font> to find out how), plus a set of hole punches may also come in handy.

Good luck in your quest, which will likely be challenging at the beginning (been there, done that).
biggrin.gif
"

"El...I have noticed one thing

"El...I have noticed one thing from the link for the head gaskets you sent...stop me when I tell a lie, the felpro head gasket appears to have one less oblong hole in it than say the reinz or beck gasket its on the end near #1 or #4 not sure of the orientation of the head looking at the gasket alone. Are those holes for the cooling water? And if so how can I tell which one is the right one or am I mistaken? As my boat isnt nearby and my original head gasket didnt come of in one piece( or 2 or 3 etc etc) are the holes for the water jacket into the bottom of the head easily seen as to compare to the pictures on the link to see if I'm getting the right one?"

"The Reinz gasket has a couple

"The Reinz gasket has a couple of extra holes that may be needed. Many heads in VP 4 cylinder engines have an extra hole to allow cooling water to go through certain intake manifolds (actually it would be "heating water" when it goes through the manifold). The intake manifold gasket must be able to seal around those holes. You will have to look at your engine's manifold and head to see if they have any holes (and where).

148552.jpg
"

"Thanks El, I think I'll j

"Thanks El, I think I'll just make the intake manifold gasket since that one came off in one piece so I have a good pattern but as for the head gasket I'll have to take a look at the bottom of the head and see what I see and compare to the photos.I really appreciate your help. Thanks again"

"The following pictures will g

"The following pictures will give you an idea of how the head intake area looks, and also of the intake manifold. As you see, the manifold in the picture does not have holes for cooling (warming) water, but there is hole in the head covered with a frost plug below the forward air intake port.

148560.jpg

148561.jpg
"

I would have to say that's

I would have to say that's the same intake manifold as mine. Minus the huge chunk of aluminum where the carb is sitting of course. As far as the head gasketing situation...for every hole in the top of the block I'm guessing there will be a corresponding one on the bottom of the head for the water to circulate or not necessarily?

"I have a few questions. im wo

"I have a few questions. im wondering if i need to get my head checked out or should i just replace the gasket. heres the scoop, im a rooky at baoting i have the aq 125a and it has fresh water & a resivour, well i didnt know that it needed antifreeze so i ran it hot but not for long., then i put antifreeze in it, it ran good for the day on the lake and never got hot. when i got home i checked the oil and it was milky. so my question is can i get away with changing the gasket?"

Back