Logo

Adjusting lower end for reverse

piperdog

"hello,ive a 1981 25 hp blueba

"hello,ive a 1981 25 hp blueband ,the reverse lever is as far back as it goes ,but i only just get reverese ,is there any adjustment or a part that can be worn in the lower leg ..thanks piperdog"

"Tony, your model has the olde

"Tony, your model has the older style lower unit/shift assembly.

The shift handle simply moves a cam which in turn operates the shift shaft.

There is no adjustable "linkage" anywhere in the process. Unless something is worn out, misaligned from an improper reisntall or bent I can't think of what would cause it not to fully engage properly - unless of course the gears are worn/shot."

"i used to have a 1976 65hp an

"i used to have a 1976 65hp and with that you could take out some shims and tighten the large plastic nut ,which would be a means of adjustment,would you know how to remove the lower gears of the 25..thanks"

"Remove the lowerunit and put

"Remove the lowerunit and put both shifter and lower in neutral, reinstall, check for nuetral of lower by spinning the prop freely."

"JB, he was saying that it doe

"JB, he was saying that it doesn't seem to go completely into reverse. This is the old style lower unit with that (kinda wedge shaped cam at the bottom) - if it's worn, might be out of luck."

"thanks for the reply,but to g

"thanks for the reply,but to get the gears out ,do i unsrew the 3 screws and where from there ..piperdog"

"Tony, I'm remembering 4 s

"Tony, I'm remembering 4 screws but may only be 3.

So with the prop off, and the screws removed, you put the thrust hub back on and press it in so that the (ears) on it mate up with the bearing carrier (kinda locking them together) - you can put the propeller back on to keep everything pressed into place. I then use a a socket on the splined nut to turn the who thing clockwise (the threads are left handed) to wind the bearing carrier out of the lower case.

Of course that is assuming that it has not "welded" itself into the case as is quite common on older units that have not been previously taken apart.

The reverse gear and the clutch will come out with the bearing carrier along with the prop shaft.

It's not rocket science, but you should really at least have a Seloc's manual if you are going to tear into the gearcase..."

"so if it unscrews ,it may scr

"so if it unscrews ,it may screw in more ?,also spoke to bill higham and he recons the reverse dog clutch is worn"

"Yes, it's possible it&#39

"Yes, it's possible it's worn. These are "naturally" in reverse, your shift shaft uses a wedge at the bottom to force it out of reverse into neutral and then ultimately in forward.

The bearing carrier however should be screwed in all the way. It is unlikely that it is not seated in totally - would have likely resulted in a leaky lower unit if it wasn't..."

Back