Logo

A Tribute to Carl Kiekhaefer

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
Eighty years ago this year, Carl started what has become the largest marine power industry on earth, and I feel it’s time to recognize his genius (and admit how wrong I was about him).

The excellent biography of Carl’s life, titled “Iron Fist”, reveals Carl’s thoughts upon hearing of the stern drive Dr. Strang had (clandestinely) developed without Carl’s knowledge. The first Mercruiser setup (though not called that yet) was powered by a Volvo 4 cylinder, 80 hp engine. Far from the later far better (and still in production) 4 cylinder Mercruiser setup, this was a heavy, low powered and noisy arrangement. After checking out in his ham-fisted way (WOT only) Carl fulminated over it, saying it was pure crap: “If you took a V-8 car engine, set it on its (crankshaft) end, on an OB tower, then you’d have something,” his insisted (or words to the effect).

What a stubborn jerk, I thought when I first read that, but Carl was RIGHT! For modern, high-powered 4 stroke OBs are quietly taking over from traditional inboards, including stern drives. At the latest boat show, most of the 30 to 40 foot express cruisers present were OB powered! The designers, and owners, have learned that OBs take up virtually no space below deck, are much lighter (and more fuel efficient), reliable, and far cheaper to get major services done; and they’re quieter to boot!

So Carl was right again!

Fastjeff

The Volvo Penta was the first stern drive, but it was secretly invented and developed by Mercury's Charles Strang and a former Merc racer/ employee named Jim Wynn (whose name ended up on the pattern).

The first true Mercruiser came design out after the Volvo Penta was revealed to the world and used the same Volvo motor. Charles Strang spotted the new 4 cylinder used in the original Chevy II and thought (correctly) it would be a good choice. He somehow obtained one from GM and brought it Fond Du Lac in the trunk of his car! Over a half century later, as the 3.0 Mercruiser, this fine little motor is still going strong (unlike the old Chevy six it was made from).

Carl would have fired both employees if he knew what they had done (but he never fund out).

"Iron Fist" is a great read.

Jeff

Last edited:
He pushed the envelope not only in sterndrives but outboards, chainsaws and small engines.
armynavy.jpg

As a business man of the 1940's and 1950's he did what he wanted to do and promoted his products the way he wanted to.-----Things are different today.

Back