Logo

A Tribute to Carl Kiekhaefer

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
Eighty years ago this year, Carl started what has become the largest marine power industry on earth, and I feel it’s time to recognize his genius (and admit how wrong I was about him).

The excellent biography of Carl’s life, titled “Iron Fist”, reveals Carl’s thoughts upon hearing of the stern drive Dr. Strang had (clandestinely) developed without Carl’s knowledge. The first Mercruiser setup (though not called that yet) was powered by a Volvo 4 cylinder, 80 hp engine. Far from the later far better (and still in production) 4 cylinder Mercruiser setup, this was a heavy, low powered and noisy arrangement. After checking out in his ham-fisted way (WOT only) Carl fulminated over it, saying it was pure crap: “If you took a V-8 car engine, set it on its (crankshaft) end, on an OB tower, then you’d have something,” his insisted (or words to the effect).

What a stubborn jerk, I thought when I first read that, but Carl was RIGHT! For modern, high-powered 4 stroke OBs are quietly taking over from traditional inboards, including stern drives. At the latest boat show, most of the 30 to 40 foot express cruisers present were OB powered! The designers, and owners, have learned that OBs take up virtually no space below deck, are much lighter (and more fuel efficient), reliable, and far cheaper to get major services done; and they’re quieter to boot!

So Carl was right again!

Fastjeff

Thanks for sharing Jeff!!

Ironic that the quote @ the end of the second paragraph describes Seven Marine's products to a T......and they truely are "Somethin' "...

they are....it was the 'v-8 car engine driving the outboard' concept, many decades before it happened, that I was getting at....

I don't think you can make any of the current production V-8s run with their cranks vertical....not without some significant modifications...

The Seven motors use an unnecessary (in my humble opinion) extra right angle driv; extra cost and extra weight.

Yamaha (the first) designed their V-8 the 'right ' way, with the rest of the OB world following. Merc's new 275 hp V-8 OBs are designed to run vertically. Nothing wrong with that. Many aircraft engines were designed to run inverted (like the Messerschmitt's DB 601 and 605s).

Jeff

Jeff, are you refering to lower unit with dual pinion drive ? How else could you put 557-627 hp. to lower unit, with such a small torpedo?

Back