Logo

A few questions during transom seal replacement on 4.3 Cobra outdrive.

Scrid

Hello everyone.
I was hoping to get some input on a few questions regarding the out-drive on my 91 OMC Cobra 4.3.
Last summer I noticed I developed a transom seal leak after I replaced it in 2002. I made it 13 years before it started leaking again.
The other day I finally got the boat into my shop ( thank God its 22 degrees here ) and pulled the engine and drive assembly.
The transom is still solid, but since I have it all removed I am repairing a few other items as well.

Question 1.
I also noticed last summer I could see water slowly leaking in from just below the steering tiller arm. I have an OEM service manual and have ordered the transom seal kit which comes with a new upper steer bushing and o-ring, however I do not have the special service tool to install the upper bushing. I know positioning of the bushing must be critical to allow the o-ring to have a proper seal. When I removed the steering gimbal from the gimbal housing it looks like my original steering bushing is pressed in slightly higher then the top of the gimbal housing it presses into by about 1/8". Is that the correct position?

Question 2.
Thumbing through the service manual, it looks like my transom mounting studs are not fully screwed into the gimbal housing,...
I was wondering if I should remove them as reinstall them with sealer seating them all the way since I have it out.

Question 3.
I have ordered two new exhaust seal flappers with bushings and pins. (mine were shot) It looks like whomever installed them the last time did not glue the bushing to the inside of the exhaust pipe and the pins wore into the aluminum exhaust pipe, so not the bushing holes are not quite round. Has anyone repaired this somehow without total replacement of the exhaust tube?

Question 4.
It looks like the hydro-static seals inside my lower unit right behind the prop are worn. How much performance does this impact by allowing exhaust gas cavitation.

Question 5.
When I removed my vertical drive this time I saw quite a bit of gear oil in the bellows. In all the years I have owned this boat and changed oil on the drive this is the first time this has happened to me.
Last summer I tried a different fill technique as listed here: http://www.sterndrive.info/id270.html

Maybe I overfilled it somehow? I was sure to level the drive and use the dipstick as a guide. Not sure.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Back